PDA

View Full Version : larger fish

BigT
07-03-2007, 03:17 AM
Hi guys, I have had my 65 gallon reef take up and going for about 10 weeks now, with livestock being introduced 4 weeks ago. Currently for fish I have two clowns, a fire fish and a solor fairy wrasse. I also have an anemone, couple of cleaner shrimp as well as Corals (mostly softies with some LPS)

I am looking for ideas for a larger display fish to add in along with two or three more smaller reef fish. I have had a couple of ideas what to add but their always seems to be reason to stay away. I have considered pygmy angels like a coral beauty or flame but been told its 50/50 when it comes to behaving themselves. Also looked at a yellow tangs. Does anyone have any suggestions what is a good larger fish for a reef tank.

I am in no big hurry to buy a larger fish just want to know what to watch out for and keep a lookout for at the LFS

fishoholic
07-03-2007, 03:52 AM
I hate to say it but in a 65g you shouldn't have a tang. Really nothing less than a 90g is suitable for a tang as well as most other larger fish. The dwarf angelfish (like the flame/coral beauty/lemonpeel) would be a better choice. However like you said they might not behave themselves in a reef tank, also in my expirence I find they are a very hard fish to keep healthy. My friend had a coral beauty and a flame angel both of them died within a week of purchase:sad: A smallish (2"-3") foxface rabbitfish sould be ok in a 65g for awhile, but you might need to upgrade (in a year or so) as the fish gets larger.

krisalexander
07-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Where abouts are you located? I ask because I have a reef safe Coral Beauty and a nice Rabbitfish for sale that I am taking out of my 65 G...

Kris