PDA

View Full Version : Bangaii frags?

SuperFudge
01-20-2002, 01:14 PM
images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Had a friend over looking at some frags of mine.....he points in the frag vat and says"look at that lil neat thing in there!"

I of course thought he was refering to some funky frag or something.

It happend to be a tiny bangaii baby!

LOL,tuff lil buggers,surviving a chaotic overflow and then trip down atleast 15' of plumbing(sump and vats in the garage) with a tun of elbows, then spit into a frag vat....so far only found three tho....

Thought it was halarious and thought id share,

Any pointers Andrew?.....im already hatchin Nauplaii(sp?)?

Marc.

[ 20 January 2002: Message edited by: Fudge ]</p>

Shadetree
01-20-2002, 01:39 PM
Marc,

Congrats, keep me in mind when they mature images/smiles/icon_smile.gif It would be awesome if I could get a pair of tank raised Cardinals between the ones I have and from another set of parents.

Scott

canadawest
01-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Hey Marc, welcome to fatherhood!

I would suspect that the ones that have made it have had a hard enough first few days, so just leave them where they are unless it is dangerous for them there.

Hatching the brine eggs will take 18-30 hours in my experience. Keep an air pump circulating them constantly, but don't use an airstone, just the open air hose. (Small bubble can kill the brine)

After 24 hours add some Selcon to the brine water, also scraping a bit of algae from your main tank's glass and adding it is good too. Baby brine are relatively poor nutritionally until they start feeding on Selcon and algaes.

Make sure that the baby Bangaii are somewhere without predators and especially away from med-high flow intakes as they aren't very good swimmers. Feed them 2-3 times a day initially for the first week, then twice a day for the next couple weeks. When I had the three in my last brood I would feed half a turkey baster's worth each time. They are good little eaters despite their tiny appearance. Once you are past week 3, it's pretty much all downhill from there.

They will likely stay together in a group, somwhere where there is relatively low water flow, and somewhat hidden. (Usually a bottom corner of the tank somwhere) As they get older they will explore more of the tank.

After 4-5 weeks of brine, try to slowly introduce frozen foods to them. Anything they take will increase your chances exponentially. Once they take to frozen foods they will double in size very quickly, and be much more hardy. Still supplement with Selcon as they need the extra nutrition and vitamins.

Other than that, it's not that hard. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

DJ88
01-21-2002, 06:15 PM
Marcs frags.. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.members.shaw.ca/montipora/pictures/bangaii.jpg

SuperFudge
01-21-2002, 07:28 PM
Darren,thanks for the pic and Andrew for the pointers.

Notice the flatworms on the right are almost as big as the Bangaii frags? images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

LOL,Marc.

[ 21 January 2002: Message edited by: Fudge ]</p>