PDA

View Full Version : B.C. Live Rock

phillybean
07-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Just a question, not sure if it is "legal" or not.

Given that fact that there are quite a few cold water reefs, has anyone taken rock from the coast (some where away from pollution...or as far away as possible) to use in a tank? I'm sure it would have to be cured afterwards.

For whatever reason if the live rock won't work, could you take the rock, bleach it and use as base rock?

Like I said, I'm not sure if it is legal or not, but for 75 pounds or so, I'm sure you could get a permit of sorts.

Any feedback is welcome
:mrgreen:

justinl
07-01-2007, 07:48 AM
our "live rock" is just large slabs of basalt. it would be the same as throwing a chunk of granite into our tank. too dense to be of any real use. very uninteresting shapes. stick to tropical porous stuff. plus it would be more hassle than it's worth to lug 75lbs of rock from 60ft of water.

Coldwater
07-02-2007, 04:05 AM
very uninteresting shapes.
I believe that quote to be incorrect:biggrin: . In my aquarium I have some really cool and interesting rocks. All of them sandstone. Not quite live rock but some have really cool shapes and holes and other cool stuff.

Matt

untamed
07-02-2007, 05:14 AM
our "live rock" is just large slabs of basalt. it would be the same as throwing a chunk of granite into our tank. too dense to be of any real use. very uninteresting shapes. stick to tropical porous stuff. plus it would be more hassle than it's worth to lug 75lbs of rock from 60ft of water.

This assumes that the value that is sought is for filtration. I think the real value/interest behind this idea would be import a lot of interesting life into a cold water setup.

I've always said...if all you want from live rock is good bacterial medium and interesting shape, you should just use artificial materials.

justinl
07-02-2007, 06:49 AM
lol i admit i may be a *lil* biased due to the fact that i want my local reefs to be preserved:wink: . and yes there are a few very nice pieces, but you really gotta search for them imo... especially ones small enough to lift up to the surface (unless you got a lift bag). in temperate reefs, the livestock is the most intersting aspect imo.

sorry, maybe i interpreted the OP wrong. I had assumed he was going to collect wild temperate LR for a tropical tank. if that's the case then hitch hikers wouldnt survive plus he'd have to cure the stuff.

im with untamed on LR though. If you got the time and the handyman skills, make your own LR. GARF has a recipe that apparently works quite well. Ive always wanted to try it, but dont have the time. i will eventually though.

i think filtration in a coldwater reef setup is an absolutely VITAL aspect though. none of the temperate corals are dependent mostly on light. they rely more on solid food. that means that feedings in the tank will be heavy. so bioload is a very big thing in cold setups. there was also mention some time ago of how the nitrifying bacteria also works a bit slower in the cold.