PDA

View Full Version : Can Flourescent melt eggcrate?

Michael
12-23-2002, 12:07 PM
I have a 72g FOWLR setup with a damsel. I am hoping to acquire some shrimp and a clown fish.
-I have 4 48" long flourescents on the tank now. I want to put them on the eggcrate instead of hanging them over the tank. Is that a good idea? Will the heat from the flourescent bulbs melt the eggcrate? (just regular flourescent bulbs BTW ).
--I know this is not ideal lighting, and will change it when Santa fills my wallet this Christmas :wink:

Thanks, and Merry Christmas

Michael

TANGOMAN
12-23-2002, 01:50 PM
I have a pair of 24" and a pair of 36" bulbs sitting atop eggcrate on one of my tanks and there has been no heat problems. 48" bulbs should also be fine.
Hope Santa's good to ya'... :wink:

Bob I
12-23-2002, 04:31 PM
-I have 4 48" long flourescents on the tank now.

I wonder if that is in any way related to FLUORESCENTS :?: :?: :?: :D :D :D :wink:

sumpfinfishe
12-24-2002, 08:29 PM
Hi Michael, sounds fine to me. I have three 36" tubes that sit ontop of a 1/2 sheet of plexi and there is only ventilation a half inch under the hood and I have no heat problems, the plexi did however flex alittle bit over the last few years but I don't see any problems with eggcrate as it will provide more ventilation. I also think that because my lights are directly over top of the tank(27 gl) that gives me the extra light I need to keep stony's. I'm sure your tank will also benifit from light hung lower. Goodluck!

You can see a pic of my light and hood, the post is titled
"a test" :wink:

Canadian
12-25-2002, 07:28 AM
Perhaps it's because it's almost 12:30 am on Christmas and I'm awake formatting my father's computer. . . Bob, I understand your frustration with regard to the incorrect spelling of common aquarium/hobbyist terms (in addition to rather simple english words), but if you want to get technical, the common misuse of the word "bulb" should also get to you. There are actually very few bulbous aquarium LAMPS. For instance, an Iwasaki MH LAMP is not bulbous in shape and therefore is not a "bulb" in the technical sense. There are no fluorescent "bulbs" becase they do not constitute a bulbous shape. The correct term would be "lamp" in most instances, and in fact, "lamp" encompasses "bulbs."

And that's my last rant for '02.

Bob I
12-25-2002, 04:59 PM
Perhaps it's because it's almost 12:30 am on Christmas and I'm awake formatting my father's computer. . . Bob, I understand your frustration with regard to the incorrect spelling of common aquarium/hobbyist terms (in addition to rather simple english words), but if you want to get technical, the common misuse of the word "bulb" should also get to you. There are actually very few bulbous aquarium LAMPS. For instance, an Iwasaki MH LAMP is not bulbous in shape and therefore is not a "bulb" in the technical sense. There are no fluorescent "bulbs" becase they do not constitute a bulbous shape. The correct term would be "lamp" in most instances, and in fact, "lamp" encompasses "bulbs."

Actually to be totally correct, we always referred to fluorescent lamps as "tubes" in the electrical trade. However, that does not bother me as much as talking about flourescent, or florecent. In addition the inability of a University student, and honours high school graduate to spell drives me batty. I am an immigrant who has a problem in that all spelling errors jump right off the page at him. It is a hindrance believe me. I usually swallow my ire, and keep reading, but on some days I am driven to make snide posts about spelling errors. Should I beg for forgiveness :?: :?: I really don't know. :wink: :roll:

Aquattro
12-25-2002, 05:03 PM
What ****es me off is people with nothing better to do than correct spelling mistakes. To reiterate past comments, this is an aquarium forum, not an English forum. Get over it. :roll:

AJ_77
12-25-2002, 07:05 PM
So, will the eggcrate melt or NOT??? :?

(As for personal foibles, I prefer a spelling deficiency to a character flaw ANY DAY. So yes, forgiveness and tolerance would be good. Comments ABOUT spelling errors distract me MORE than the actual mistakes.)

:D

StirCrazy
12-25-2002, 07:05 PM

Bahhh you got 6 mnore days :wink: plenty of time for rants :lol:

Bob, I am not even going to coment, exsept for "take a break".. if you have nothing beter to do than corect speling than you nede another hoby to ocupye more of your time! :roll:

Steve

StirCrazy
12-25-2002, 07:06 PM
So, will the eggcrate melt or NOT??? :?

(As for personal foibles, I prefer a spelling deficiency to a character flaw ANY DAY. So yes, forgiveness and tolerance would be good. Comments ABOUT spelling errors distract me MORE than the actual mistakes.)

:D

no a normal tube will not melt egcrate I have had lights on egcrates for years.. VHO maby but I doubt it, MH yes.

Steve

Bob I
12-25-2002, 08:53 PM

You don't have to read them, nor reply to them if you so desire. :wink:

Bob I
12-25-2002, 08:56 PM
What ****es me off is people with nothing better to do than correct spelling mistakes. To reiterate past comments, this is an aquarium forum, not an English forum. Get over it. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob I
12-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Bob, I am not even going to coment, exsept for "take a break".. if you have nothing beter to do than corect speling than you nede another hoby to ocupye more of your time! :roll:

Steve

Maybe that is my hobby. :P :P

Bob I
12-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Anyway guys, I replied to someone's post who specifically addressed me. There is no real need for everyone to jump all over me. Remember it's the season to be jolly. :P :P

Troy F
12-25-2002, 09:33 PM
I don't think Steve's a bad speller, I think he just has fat fingers :) .

Merry Christmas everyone!

Bob I
12-25-2002, 09:54 PM

Actually he told me in chat that the problem lies with his keyboard. :D :D

StirCrazy
12-25-2002, 10:08 PM

hehe, hey...hold on... was that a slam?

:wink:

Steve

Michael
12-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Thanks to all for their input!!!
I learnt how to spell, rant, and a few things about saltwater/marine lighting!! :D
Thanks to all for their input. I have had the bulbs(or is it lights, or fixtures?? hhmm... anyway...you get the idea) on for over a week, and nothing bad has happened. :lol:
Wow...the lighting does look better!!...makes me thing of getting Power Compacts. :idea:
I've 2 other questions about a skimmer that volcanoed on me (literally blew the top off it) , and a cleaner shrimp...but I'll start new threads for that.
Happy New Year!!

Michael