PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on sump

findingnemo1
06-29-2007, 03:45 AM
Hi Everyone.

As i downgraded my 120 to a 90 i am building a new stand this weekend. And as i bought a new skimmer (the euro-reef rs250) it won't fit in my sump:)

So i have a 40 gallon here but it has no baffles in it. I had debated the rubbermaid idea but want to put in a fuge and am just not sure about how to go about the rubbermaid idea. Anyone with luck in this department?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Delphinus
06-29-2007, 04:09 AM
Problem with rubbermaids is they bow out. I'd really only use one temporarily.

Baffles are easy - figure out how many you want (say, 3), measure out what you need and then order them from a place like the Glass Guild. Baffles don't have to hold back water, so they don't need to be thick. 4.5mm is probably fine, for example. A little bit of aquarium-safe silicone, and 24 hours later you're done. When all is said and done, it will probably have cost you about $20.

So if you can fit that Euroreef in the 40, put the skimmer in the chamber the tank drains into, then put the baffles between that and the sump return.

It doesn't need to be very technical unless you have a very high flow sump return pump, in which case you'll be trying to figure out how to get rid of microbubbles in the main tank. So something like say 5-7x volume turnover per hour, and then you shouldn't have a problem.

Also try to leave enough room in one chamber to keep your heater.

Sometimes you need to trial-and-error it. As long as you don't overdo the silicone, you can just cut the baffles out with a razor blade and then reposition them and resilicone.

The main thing is just holding the glass in place while the silicone sets .. masking tape, scrap wood, clamps, etc. etc. you name it - as long as you can hold it in place while the silicone sets. Once it's set, that glass isn't going anywhere.