PDA

View Full Version : More False Wall / Sump Design Feedback

Canadian
06-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks again to those of you who offered feedback in my previous thread.

I've taken your suggestions into consideration where I could and have a new design that I would appreciate some feedback on (because I'm sure there's something I'm missing).

A few points of detail:

Pictures are to scale.

In the front view you see the cutout overflow on the right which is 1" deep and 5" long - this was done based on the RC overflow calculator. I wanted to max out the Hydor rotating return (shown schematically on the left) at ~300GPH hence the 5" width. This overflow section will be blocked off by egg crate material.

In the back view you see the baffle design. The right hand baffle was designed to keep a constant water level/pressure for the Tunze DOC Nano skimmer (shown schematically). The height of this baffle is as tall as possible while still keeping the skimmer low enough to account for the cap I intend to put over the false wall/sump to hide all the ugly equipment.

My two main issues are whether or not the Tunze skimmer will require a hole being drilled in the false wall cap (not shown) to allow fresh air into the venturi of the skimmer. And whether or not the far right hand chamber is going to be a large enough volume to account for evaporation (as designed it's about 3.2 gallons when full to the top of the skimmer baffle - display dimensions are ~ 24 x 18 x 17 = ~ 30 gallons with the entire tank being 24 x 24 x 18).

Let me know what you think.

Canadian
06-29-2007, 12:32 AM
Here I go replying to my own thread again . . .

Anyway, here's a pic that puts things into a better perspective:

albert_dao
06-30-2007, 06:43 AM
What's all the open space at the return pump area for?

Canadian
06-30-2007, 02:19 PM
I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're asking but if you're asking why that space on the right is so short the answer is: The second baffle had to be placed at that height to accomodate the Tunze Nano DOC skimmer - a) it needs something to hang on and this baffle will enable this b) because the skimmer functions optimally at 7.5-8" of submersion of the body this was as tall as I could make the baffle and still fit the skimmer in the false wall area under the cap shown in the last picture.

I'd really like to make that last chamber larger so that I have more volume for evaporation but I haven't been able to think of another way to lay things out to do so.

*So I was looking around for a skimmer that might enable me to raise the height of the last baffle and this one seems like it might help if it fits, but I've read that the pumps tend to run pretty hot and I'm really trying to keep heat down by using efficient pumps: http://www.pacificcoastimports.com/product.cfm?sid=64270227L15608003607002H1183216011 162V24V83V198V44T22224977T4997&p=54&cs=products%2Ecfm%3Fsid%3D64270227L15608003607002H 1183216011162V24V83V198V44T22224977T4997%26c%3D24% 26kys%3D%26pg%3D1

Doug
06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
If the only reason is required height for the skimmer, in regards to the hood and why the divider is lower, then could the hood not be higher and thus the baffle. I dont understand Rodger,s stats on the water height, unless the nano is different than the others.

For in tank use, the water level is normal tank water level and the skimmer is adjusted with the brackets, for correct operating height. I agree they would be more of a problem with a hood in place and in tank use.

Canadian
06-30-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey Doug,

For functionality I would love to have the false wall cap be taller but esthetics (AKA my fiance) are (is) winning the battle on the tank design - hence the reason for doing everything I can to hide the equipment as much as possible. *Ouch! That whip stings!*

When I discussed setting up the tank with my fiance she became interested and loved the idea with the caveat that it not look like a science experiment and that it look more like a piece of furniture/art work. So she started looking with me on discussion boards for tank designs that she liked. She liked the contemporary look of the open top frameless tanks and Japanese style tanks. For example she liked this person's tank but didn't like the wires on the wall from the suspended lights (therefore I'm compromising by using a less obtrusive Coralife Aqualight Pro Clip-on 150W HQI) and she didn't like seeing the plumbing in the overflow boxes (therefore I'm building a cap over the false wall):

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/178il3.jpg

After looking into options today I think I'll likely end up having to run a JBJ ATO to keep up with the evaporation, but the up side is that the tank will require less daily maintenance for me.

Doug
06-30-2007, 10:25 PM
The best way to achieve that look Andrew, would be to run a sump and a black acylic covered overflow. :D

How high will the hood be?

Canadian
06-30-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Tank_Design.jpg

The flat piece shown hovering above the tank is just a sort of exploded view of the "cap" as I've been referring to it. That piece is going to sit on top of the first overflow baffle and then on little struts that will be siliconed at fairly wide intervals across the most expansive part of the far right hand chamber so that the cap sits flush with the top of the glass. I will have to cut out a few notches for power cords and the mounting bracket for the Coralife clip-on light. However, if I end up adding the ATO I'll end up having to elevate this cap a bit (essentially making an inverted / open bottomed box) to allow the return tubing to come in to the chamber from behind rather than up and in (again, so it's not seen).

Here's a pic of what I was trying to explain above regarding my initial intention (although now it seems I may very well have to elevate this cap to accomodate the ATO as I suggested above)
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/medium/front_view_of_design.jpg

Doug
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
OK, I see now.

It will be hard to have an elevated water level, and thus the skimmer higher and still have a low cap, unless the skimmer cup sticks out.

If using an ATO, the water level could be lower as you mentioned and then the skimmer, {again not sure on nano skimmers}, could be run in supm mode, sitting on the tanks bottom. Its also not water level specific in this mode and the cap could sit where you wish it then.