PDA

View Full Version : Question - DIY Becket Noise

Todd
06-28-2007, 04:41 AM
I recently purchased a DIY becket skimmer from a local reefer. It is a PM Bullet knock off (Sized between a bullet 1 and a bullet 2). The becket is housed inside of a pvc pipe. I have taken it apart a few times to clean it (I don't yet have a screen on the pump, thus any little thing gets into the becket and slows it down), and about 2 / 3 times when I put it back together and turn it on, I get a very loud clicking noise. I can feel the becket rattling inside the pipe. I usually end up taking it apart and trying to put it back together so that it is quiet, but I don't know why it makes the noise and how to put it together so that it is quiet. Any help?

Jason McK
06-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Jack tought my a trick years ago for this.
You know how the becket is shaped like an arrow with a ball on the ends. The arrow end has 2 wings on either side and they fit into the outer shell to hold the becket suspended in the centre of the chamber. Take some teflon tape and cut it into strips the same size as the becket wings. So it can wrap around the each wing. this will increase the thickness of the wings to keep the hold thing from rattleing. I've had mine for 3 years and I've never changed the teflon and it's perfectly silent.
Hope this helps I can take a pic tomorrow if you want

J

kari
06-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Can also try putting small o-rings around the outside of each end of the beckett fitting if it fits loose in it's housing.

Todd
06-28-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the help.

Jason, I think I know what you mean. Your strips of teflon are only around the part of the becket that fits into the outer shell of the becket thus leaving no teflon in the inside chamber of the becket correct?

kari - the becket fits very snug inside of the becket holder, I am pretty sure that this is not the problem.

Jason McK
06-28-2007, 05:01 PM
exactly

J :)

Todd
06-28-2007, 05:44 PM
That worked wonderfully!

Thanks Jason!