PDA

View Full Version : Moving TROUBLE!!!!! help

Josh23
12-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Ok.
1. Moved fish to 30 gallon sump (added heater) and some rock
2. I moved the tank into the new location without removing any sand.
3. Retrurned most of water back to main tank. The problem is it is so cloudy with sand and debri I cant see into it.
4. My rock is sitting in bueckets (unheated)

Couple questions
1. Should my fish be fine in the sump as long as it is heated and Im using a powerhead to circulate it.

2. Will I need to recure my tank due to some die off on the rock as it is not in heated water.

Thanks
Josh

StirCrazy
12-22-2002, 09:21 PM
put your rocks back in the cloudy tank.. it will settle down fast and at worst you will have to blow them off with a turkey baster.. if the backteria and critters die off in your rock because of cold you will be much worse off.. your fish will be fine with a heater and cirulation.. just point the power head up so it ripples the warter surface good for O2 exchange.

Steve

Josh23
12-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Ok I put all the rock back into the tank. I caused the water in the tank to become even more cloudy due to the debri on the rock. Is it ok if I leave the fish in the sump over night if the tank does not clear.

Josh

EmilyB
12-22-2002, 09:39 PM
Josh, can you get hold of some polyfilter floss and throw it in a filter of some kind ?

StirCrazy
12-22-2002, 09:50 PM
Josh, how long was this tank running befor you moved it today?

if it was established it should clear out by tomorrow.. you can use poly filter if you want but I wouldent.. you wan the silt in your sand bed. and like i said if it was a established bed it will clear out real fast.. (day or two) you might even look at it in 5 hours and say it is good enuf to put the fish back in.

as long as you got a heater and water cirulation in the sump your fish should be fine..

Steve

Josh23
12-22-2002, 10:41 PM
I do have a heater and water cirulation in the sump. I put a couple cunks of LR in as well.

As for the main tank. The sand bed has been in for over a year so I would say is established.

Im currently heating the main tank although the temp has droped a lot as it has not circulation. Should I add a power head even though it may cause the the debri to be spread around more or leave it.
Its at 75 degrees F right now which it 5 degrees lower then I ususally keep it.

Josh

Josh23
12-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Sorry
Should I feed my fish tonight or not.
They seems to be pretty stressed and hiding.
What do you think

StirCrazy
12-22-2002, 10:49 PM
I would put a power head in it.. I had a hard time clearing mine till I got motion in it..

don't know about feedign the fish.,. if you fed them good befor the move Iwould say hold off but if you think they shoudl eat then maby a light meal..

Steve

Josh23
12-22-2002, 10:57 PM
The powerhead is in operation.
Two heaters on the main tank trying to increase temp.
fish seem to be doing ok although they are not moving, just hidding in the rocks.

Im not going to feed them tonight and Ill wait till tomorrow.
I hope to get rid of this smell that has taking over my home as well.
it stinks in here. YUCK.

Thanks for all the help and if I have any more problems ill be sure to post them. Im also going to take some photos of the finished product when completed some time after chirstmas.

thanks again
Josh