PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic sheet-Van Isl/Lower MainLand.

fishmaster
06-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Can anyone recomend the most cost effective place to buy acrylic around the south island or lower mainland? It seems to be a littly pricy up my way.
Thanks,
Shaun.

Scavenger
06-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Industrial plastic and paint on Northfield in Nanaimo is the only place I know of. If you only need small chunks, they are usually pretty good about giving it away from the cuttings bin.

fishmaster
06-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Industrial plastic and paint on Northfield in Nanaimo is the only place I know of. If you only need small chunks, they are usually pretty good about giving it away from the cuttings bin.

That's who I'm dealing with up here, I know their pricing varies depending on the compitition...thats why they don't publish any pricing...they told me it was based on shipping..Hahaha nice try. It's hard to trick a salesman! I think they are independantly owned and charge what they want. I need quite a bit, I'm building a multi chambered sump. Maybe I'll give them a try just to see if there is a difference.
Thanks

fishmaster
06-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Well I did some calling around and WOW it pays to shop around. The cost for a full sheet of 3/8" clear varried from $312-$462 up here down to $197 in Vancouver. Labour up here for custom work is $65/hr down there $30/hr. I think I'll wait 2 weeks until I got the the mainland!!!

Midknight
06-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Well I did some calling around and WOW it pays to shop around. The cost for a full sheet of 3/8" clear varried from $312-$462 up here down to $197 in Vancouver. Labour up here for custom work is $65/hr down there $30/hr. I think I'll wait 2 weeks until I got the the mainland!!!

Let me know when you get here and I will go with you.
Buy bulk and get it cheaper. :wink:

kari
06-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure what material the quotes are for but the price can also vary greatly if one is quoting on cast and the other extruded.

fishmaster
06-27-2007, 08:01 PM
O.K., so the quote I got up here for entire list of pieces cut $462 and in Coquitlam $237. If I wasn't already going there and needed shipping$297. Same material.
Shaun.

Chin_Lee
06-27-2007, 08:50 PM
O.K., so the quote I got up here for entire list of pieces cut $462 and in Coquitlam $237. If I wasn't already going there and needed shipping$297. Same material.
Shaun.
Shaun, what material is that for? Cast acrylic or extruded acrylic? Cast is recommended for aquarium use because its much stronger. Extruded will crackle when stressed

fishmaster
06-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Shaun, what material is that for? Cast acrylic or extruded acrylic? Cast is recommended for aquarium use because its much stronger. Extruded will crackle when stressed

It's cast.
Thanks

justinl
06-28-2007, 02:48 AM
make sure that it is cast and make sure you let them know it is for an aquarium. the cutting has to be done near perfect for this application. also make sure that the sides of the panes are finished or else you'll have to do it yourself and risk screwing up. finishing small pieces is easy but larger pieces would be difficult without proper tools.

+1 cast.