PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish not doing so well.

digital-audiophile
06-24-2007, 10:06 PM
So I picked up this little guy a bit ago and he had a nasty habit of going through the overflow into the sump. He started looking really bad the other day so I moved him into my 6G nano just so he has a place by himself.

Any suggestions on what may be ailing him?

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w319/digital-audiophile/Fish%20Tank/025.jpg

Static
06-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry I don't have near the knowledge to diagnose your clownfish, but I've been searching a bit lately and came upon this page http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clnfishdisfaq6.htm

I hope you figure out what's wrong with your fish and can help him get better.

Good luck

Zoaelite
06-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Only two things I can think as possibilities here are iether a fungus on its own or the more probable circumstance is that the fish was beaten up by an agresser which just lowered its slime coat and its imunity to infection

digital-audiophile
06-24-2007, 10:32 PM
What reealy concerns me is that 1/2 his tail and a good portion of his left fin are missing.

I should mention he is still eating well.

adidas
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
if he is eating well, stuff him good...lots of food. got any selcon?

bulletsworld
06-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Now its always hard to tell by ones picture. I'm sorry to tell you.. it looks like Brooklynella. It is a parasite disease that happens to Clownfish. Its nasty and most treatments for it are ineffective. The fish will rot away and produce mucus, slime over its body. It can also display as a white slimy film.

For more info.. check out the disease section on canreef, http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22013
that has some great links to read on this. Or google "Brooklynella"

If your sure its been injured by the overflow, you can place the clownfish in a QT, and use antibiotic or Meleflex to help repair fins.

Hope this helps.

EmilyB
06-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Who's picking on him?

Salmon King
06-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I would put him to sleep.The most humane way is to put him in a glass of tank water and put it in the freezer.

digital-audiophile
06-25-2007, 11:50 AM
When I look at the pictures of Brooklynella online it does look very similar :(

digital-audiophile
06-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm sad to say that he did not make it through the night. Thank you everyone for your help and advice :(

Unfortunatley this is the second fish that I have had die in the first week of being home from the same store.

bulletsworld
06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Aww... sorry to hear, its very sad news. :sad: Don't feel bad, you did all you could. In all the years I have never cured a clown of Brooklynella. It's a nasty nasty parasite that really gets a clown fish when its already down. Make sure to leave your tank fowl without clown fish for month & a half.

Bet ya I can guess what pet store in Calgary you bought from. PM me the store, so its not to bash store to others here. Every time I have gone in their, I warn people, "see that's an example of Brooklynella. Don't buy anything in those tanks.

Regardless, sorry again for your loss. *HUGS*

digital-audiophile
06-25-2007, 07:30 PM
He has been alone in quaratine since I brought him home, and then transfered him to the 6G nano after he went through the overflow into the sump so infection of my other fish is thankfully not possible :)