PDA

View Full Version : Big Al's - a new look

Tau2301
12-22-2002, 02:40 AM
Went to Big Al’s today to pickup a few snails for the holidays. WOW, what a big difference in the saltwater section of the store.

They’ve taken the old shark tank, raised the bottom, and added some fake reef detail. The tank holds about 2000 gallons of water. It looks terrific.

They have these huge corals in the tank, but get this they’re made of rubber and look very realistic.

They have fish in the tank and I was blown away with the way it looked. I want one.

The other tanks are well stocked with a large variety of fish and at very reasonable prices. I was tempted to buy a couple of fish on impulse, but the conscientious aquarist in me took over and I decided to do some homework first.

Sorry to sound like an advertisement for them, but the store has improved greatly and I am very impressed.

Oh, I did get the half dozen snails that I went for.

Canadian Man
12-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info Kim.
I was wondering when they were going to get the big tank filled again.
I will have to go check them out.

Bob I
12-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Nice to hear they no longer will have that "shark feeding frenzy" I was told they killed the sharks when they got too big.

andestang
12-22-2002, 05:28 PM
They sent them up to West Edmonton Mall ( the marine display ) :D
I have'nt been to BA's for a while, have to go check it out.

ande

Delphinus
12-22-2002, 05:50 PM
The tank is looking good although it hasn't completely cleared up yet. Thave some >12" angels in there so it's worth a look. They still claim they will put sharks in there again, hopefully nothing more than a banded cat. A banded cat will fit in there nicely, they only get to 30"-36".

The only thing is .... welllll they seem to have put some clownfish in there, about two dozen or so. Draw your own conclusions about that one.

They do have a fairly large selection of stuff. I can't figure out pricing of things though. For example, $25 can buy you a peppermint shrimp .... or a snowflake moray. HUH? Does that make really make sense?

As for the old sharks .... one of them went to Toronto, one of them to West Ed. That's what they told me, anyways.

TANGOMAN
12-23-2002, 02:06 PM
That tank has long needed an overhaul...! Anxious to see how it looks once it's "established". I too hope they refrain from the marketing gimmick of that "shark feeding" thing...good exposure for kids but not an appropriate enclosure IMO.

Boxing week sale...I'm told 25% off livestock. I'm going in on Tuesday to "check inventory" for a possible Thursday purchase. If anybody is lookin' for somethin' in particular, let me know if I can save ya' a trip if you're also lookin' for something. I won't buy it for ya' :cry: but I'll see if it's there... :wink:

Bob I
12-23-2002, 04:45 PM
Would you check to see if there are any deals on pails of salt? I would like to get a pail of "Kent" :?: :?:

Delphinus
12-23-2002, 05:15 PM
According to their spam mailout for Boxing Day, they will have a IO on sale for $69.99.

(BTW the regular price is $75, I just picked up a bucket of IO last Wednesday..)

I would expect Kent salt to be roughly the same price as IO salt.

TANGOMAN
12-24-2002, 02:03 PM
Fortunately it looks like I only have to buy salt for Bob... :wink: . I was goona' get ya' a dictionary but I think ya' already got one last year...?
I also see J&L has a boxing week sale, FYI. Dry goods only unless someone wants to drive out there on Thursday... :roll: Road trip !!!

I'll take this opportunity to wish ya' all a great Christmas season. A good New Year as well. "Enjoy the simpler things in life..." That's what it's all about. If ya' get "liquored-up", leave the car behind, because water changes are hell when you're in a "chair"... :wink:
Cheers

AJ_77
12-24-2002, 03:15 PM
http://www.rvvs.com/images/xmas-banner.gif

Bob I
12-24-2002, 04:19 PM
I also see J&L has a boxing week sale, FYI. Dry goods only unless someone wants to drive out there on Thursday... :roll: Road trip !!!

Wouldn't that be fun. We should go, and scoop some things the guys out there are selling or giving away. :D :D

Bob I
12-30-2002, 09:44 PM
Made the trip to Big Al's today. The big tank is still cloudy, and I only saw angels in it. Corals were still 25% off. They had a nice Green Open Brain. I was about to purchase it when the three resident Aiptasia caught my eye. I told the young fellow I would buy it, but I had no urgent need for the Aiptasia. He then wanted to sell me some Aiptasia killer. I told him, no, I want the Brain sans the Aiptasia. We could not come to an agreement on tthis, so I walked away. :( :(