PDA

View Full Version : Phosban/carbon reactor?

MikeP
06-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I'm sure I have read that some people run carbon in a two little fishies phosban reator and I was planning to do that in hopes of clearing up my water a bit. I would then have two of them, one with rowaphos running in the sump and I was planning on putting the other one on the main tank at least until the water clears up. I have a container of activated carbon, will that be ok to put in there? How much? I was thinking the same a rowaphos, about 100mm per 100 gallons (is that right, I through out the container and haven't bought more yet). And finally, does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks for any input

blennie
06-23-2007, 02:29 AM
J and L sells this as a package. comes with all the stuff ya need. pump , hose media..... if you arent using a phos you need to only put in a fraction of the amount needed. if you take it out too fast you can shock your system

Chowder
06-23-2007, 02:34 AM
I ran them in line . I had the rowaphos in the first one flowing into the one with carbon and then into my sump. This way you only have to use one pump. Ran the phosban 3/4 full of carbon. Water was very clear and didn't have to clean glass as often. Found it worked quite well. I only have about 80 to 85 gallon system. Also it should say on the container of carbon how much to use per gallon.

Chris

christyf5
06-23-2007, 02:46 AM
I have two as well. I was using one for carbon and one for phosban but when I switched to the Ultralith program I skipped on the carbon and used it for the ultralith stones. I still have the one for phosban. I have maxijet 600s running on each with the phosban one throttled back at about 1/4 of the way open using the valve on the phosban hose.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Hey Mike, why do you want to run one on the sump and one on the display tank? If you ran them both in the sump, you could definitely use only one pump, as others have said.

I run carbon and rowaphos. It works very well. I also have the output going into a filter sock, which helps to trap detritus.

MikeP
06-23-2007, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. Drew, I was only planning on running the carbon one on the display until my water cleared up then I was going to move it to the sump. My return pump is tee'd off and running the rowaphos reactor now. I was planning on running both of them in tandem like jkhchris posted. My tank has just been cloudy for a while but I think if I can get it cleared up enough with this plan it will stay that way.

andresont
06-23-2007, 06:45 AM
What ever you do with your eco system do it slowly.
No one likes sudden change. You can gradually increase levels.
This is safe way to do it, or you can stress yor tank a lot depending on your lewels.