PDA

View Full Version : IceCap 250W Metal Halide Electronic Ballast

Samw
12-22-2002, 01:22 AM
Several US online places are selling IceCap 250W MH HQI Electronic Ballasts for about $200 ($120 US). I'm almost certain to get one. Anyone running one right now? Comments?

StirCrazy
12-22-2002, 01:46 AM
so they are 120 US + shipping + taxes + brokerage fees?

I was looking at them myself but I decided against it as a lot have been returned for repair acording to a few LFS.

Steve

Samw
12-22-2002, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to determine shipping cost now. Its less than 4 lbs so if they agree to ship by USPS, it could be less than $15 and then brokerage is $5.

I read that IceCap plans to discontinue the other two 250W ballasts and only manufacture this one as their only 250W ballast so I'm hoping it will be good.

Samw
12-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Hey Steve.

This is most likely where I'll get my ballast + 10K bulb from. Right now, its a savings of about $115 ($307 vs $423) from buying locally before the shipping charges. Have you found any better prices?

Link (http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=OE&Product_Code=I2WMBA2W1AB1&Category_Code=ICMH)

You said that you were looking at one earlier but decided not to. Did you get something else instead?

Bob I
12-22-2002, 04:47 PM
Are you going away from your PC's Sam?

ldzielak
12-22-2002, 05:51 PM
So this will run 250W 20K Radiums?

Lee

Samw
12-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Bob, I'm not completely going away from PCs. I bought a 96W PC smartlamp retrokit to supplement the MH. I'll be taking out the 2x55W PC canopy that is sitting on the tank right now. This way, I can have more open space between the tank and the lights so I can stick my hand in the tank more easily.

After 1 year in the hobby, its time for me to move on to the bigger things such as Acropora. The PCs are great for everything I kept except for 1/2 of my Acroporas. Several of my Acroporas remained brightly colored under the PCs but half turned brown. I could add more PCs and see what happens but I know MH is a sure thing.

Lee, yes, the IceCap 250W ballast will run every 250W bulb out there according to IceCap. I'm getting the 10k K (Actually 13k K) Aqualine bulb. I got an Email back from Ocean Encounter and they do ship by US postal service. Yeah! Of course, I'll wait and see if anything better or close comes up locally during Boxing Day.

canadawest
12-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Just as an aside Sam, USPS is going to be your cheapest method of shipping, both for cost of shipping, and brokerage fees.

Even better is to have the items shipped USPS to a US address (in Blaine or Point Roberts) then bring the items over yourself and pay the taxes there. That way you avoid all brokerage fees.

UPS and FedEx charge brutal amounts for brokerage fees so I would avoid them and go USPS if you can.

StirCrazy
12-22-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm getting the 10k K (Actually 13k K) Aqualine bulb.

the best ballast for thoes as far as output goes, is the Ansi M80 magnetic ballast.. J&L sells them bare for 149.99 (lot cheeper than the the IceCap especial after you figure in taxes, shipping, ect..)

if you look at Sanjay's test on ballasts, the only ballast that was worse then the Icecap at powering a Iwasaki was the blueline.. both the magnetinc and the MV ballast put out way more PAR. once again we are running into a case whare the power consumed including the ballast ineficiency is less than the rated output for the bulb.. (sugesting another underpowering situation like they admidted to in there floressent ballasts)

to suport this also I finaly got a e-mail back from AB in europe and they said because we don't run the same power levels as they do in europ there ballasts are useless over here but they recomended the Ansi M80 (they actualy said the Advance one.. weather than is a issue or not I am not sure because so far it looks like they are the only ones that make a M80 ballast :roll: ) as much as I hate to push a companies produce .. PFO's 250 watt HQI ballast is the right one for the AB bulbs, and lacking better pricing from industreal sources I think I am going to have to buy one instead of building one.. ie.. for me to buy 2 bare ballast alone would be over 300.00 by a few bucks.. J&L has the dual 250 watt HQI PFO in a nice case and everything for 339.00.

now if you are looking at the icecap thinking that a electronic ballast will be a huge power savings not real.. it will save about 50 watts per ballast.. so about the same amount as a average powerhead.. personaly I would like to wait and see what the Fulham 250 watt electronic ballast is going to be like as it will probably be 1/2 the price of the others if they keep to there normal practice and it will be out this spring.

I have tried to keep my opinion of IceCap out of this and give you the facts so you can make a informed purchase.. if you want my candid opinion I will not post it on the board so you will have to e-mail and ask for it :wink:

Steve

Samw
12-23-2002, 03:35 AM
Andrew, yes, USPS is the only way to go. I'd rather pay the $5 brokerage fee though, then drive across the border to bring it. Driving across is a good choice if they don't ship by USPS.

the best ballast for thoes as far as output goes, is the Ansi M80 magnetic ballast.. J&L sells them bare for 149.99 (lot cheeper than the the IceCap especial after you figure in taxes, shipping, ect..)

if you look at Sanjay's test on ballasts, the only ballast that was worse then the Icecap at powering a Iwasaki was the blueline.. both the magnetinc and the MV ballast put out way more PAR.

Oh, you must mean this article Link (http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/s/b/sbj4/aquarium/ballast%20comparison/ballast-comparison.html)

I think this test was performed with their older ballast. I should wait for an independent test on their new ballast. I wish I knew how long these prices will last.

now if you are looking at the icecap thinking that a electronic ballast will be a huge power savings not real.. it will save about 50 watts per ballast.. so about the same amount as a average powerhead..
Steve

The energy savings is a plus but also I wanted the 40-50 F decrease in operating temperature as well.

Samw
12-31-2002, 09:34 PM
Well, I just ordered the IceCap/Optix III/AB 10k K system. Shipping was a whopping $56 ($35US) by Expedited Mail service. Sucks that the total package weight was 13 lbs when the pendant is only 2 lbs and the ballast is 3 lbs. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Samw
01-17-2003, 06:07 AM
10 business days and still no lights. So much for 3-5 days for Express Mail service from US to Canada.

stephane
01-17-2003, 03:28 PM
I have wait 2 month one time for USPS :wink: