PDA

View Full Version : How the west won reefin style

Littlefish
01-20-2002, 11:17 AM
Hi ya all images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ( how the West won reflects the great contributions people on the West cost here have made in the Hobby and through out Canada )

Cheers to Ya!

I thought a little intro was in order, I have talked via mail to a few members from here before, dale D, troy F, Scott, and others I live in ontario and I am putting together a 125gal reef "putting it together really doesn't count" it is together here is what I have.

125gal tank and stand and a 6-7" DSB South Down Play Sand.
55 gal for sump, a 30gal tall with 6-8"DSB refugium with 220w power compacts over it.

DIY hood for the 125gal with VHOs for now @ 440W.
About to be on order is 100lbs LR to go with the 60lbs of LR I already have.

Items left on my shopping list are.
Skimmer?
Main pump for return? ( right now I am running a Mag to small for water movement )need more circulation to take care of the dead spots.

The skimmer I was thinking of, a Aqua C EV 180 J&L recomends a min. pump size to drive it a Mag 7 what pump would members here suggest?

Tha main return pump I was thinking of is
Gen X Mak4 or the Gen X Mak5 any thoughts?

Littlefish or AKA mini mee to others
Thanks to all for any suggestions images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Troy F
01-20-2002, 01:27 PM
Mini mee! I'd say you are right on track there. I bought the Gen-X Mak 4 to use as the return pump on my 155. I think if you went with the Mak 5 you could T it and run your skimmer as well (depending on the skimmer). I'm not familiar with Aqua C skimmers so I can't comment on that.

Littlefish
01-21-2002, 12:12 AM
Hi ya Troy images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I thought the Mak would do the trick I had considered the Iwaki if I can snag one from over border way, not sure how they would stack up against each other, Iwaki has a well known name for quality along with the Mak series as well.

Little giant was another on the list but I think the Iwaki and Mak beats them by a hair.

On the skimmer side of things I am really not sure it's a toss up between

Aqua C, Bullet, eurofoamer

Aqua C stands some what high on my list at least in my mind but I would like some feed back what do people use here at CANREEF AQUATICS BB?

Here's a funny side note to anyone with a spouse less than happy with the load we all spend on our reefs, get out a pump that rattles and vibrates like crazy ( my old mag does, must be 10 years old LOL ) put it in the same room your tank is, set your spouse down next to it and before you know it, there's money in the budget for a quiet pump and a place down stairs to put it images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Littlefish