PDA

View Full Version : Wavemakers, waveboxes, powerheads? UGH, how do you make a choice?

Chaloupa
06-20-2007, 06:48 AM
Does anyone run a Tunze Wavebox 6212??? I have looked at every ad, every thread I can and am more undecided than I was...I don't know what to add to our 150g for more and random flow....
I had thought of a couple of 6100 Tunze with controller, then I had thought about the Tunze wavebox, but then I had some other ideas.....my tank is going to be SPS and zoos, with the occasional LPS, I need more flow and would like input on what YOU do for more flow on your tanks....THANKS so much in advance for your input!

niloc16
06-20-2007, 07:13 AM
well i'm a huge supporter of the tunze wavebox. i seen a change in polyp extension within a day or two on my sps. the fish were different as well. i also love the tunze 6100's on wavyseas. i dont think this combo can be matched by any other in random current. just my 2 bits though

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Waveboxes are great for flow & such, but big & expensive.

At present, I mainly use smaller streams, like Tunze nanostream 4045s & Hydor Koralia4s (best bang for the buck IMO). I would love to add a wavebox or the Wave2k system, but that will have to wait. Going more sps for the sake of my wife (she likes fuzzy sticks), so I might add another Koralia4 for now. Setting up a 120g fowlr soon, so if I find a good deal on a wavebox or wave2k, then the streams will help increase flow in the fowlr.

Anthony

andresont
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Compare flow on the reef and our reef tanks and you will see that it is a drop in the ocean compare to a real thing.
At any rate if one thinks that he/she has enough flow most likely it needs to be doubled...
I have a WaveBox on a 36" long tank, it takes only 5" x 5" spot in the corner. In tank like yours you will not even notice it ,imo.
For SPS you will need a lot of flow and they love it however, even though flow is very important water quality also is important.
If you are OK with many different timers and bunch of wires then go ahead with koralia pumps.
I had that kind of a setup last time ,(many timers different pumps and power heads), they all are out of sync and you will have flow but it is sooo much nicer to be able to control all that,
just look what Tunze multy controller can do and you'll see what i mean.
Now i want everything on one controller and my choice was Tunze. I like it a lot. I have Wave Box, Tunze 6100 and will be adding one or two 6055 Tunze nano's next week as soon as it avaliable at J&L.
After i removed sand bed and moved 6100 down(to the bottom) to blow detritus my skimmer was able to remove a lot more (because more now is suspended) and ORP moved up more then 100 points.

Joe Reefer
06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
I have a wavebox, 6100 stream, 6000 stream and a 6080 stream in my 120g (48x24x24) sps dominate. That works out to around 55x turnover from the pumps and however you want to calculate the wavebox in. The wavebox is not as big as you would expect and the flow it produces far out ways the size IMO, everything in my tank loves the wave including the fish. The flow dynamic it creates is different than what a normal pump creates.

christyf5
06-20-2007, 02:30 PM
I have a wavebox in my tank. As for the "not noticing the size" I don't believe that for a second. :razz: I was actually shocked at how it looked in my tank. But like anything new, over time you come to not notice it as much anymore and now it doesn't bother me.

As for polyp extension I don't think I've ever seen such incredible PE in my tank ever. I swear some of my millis could do Herbal Essences commercials with their polyps waving in the breeze (bwahah that cracked me up just thinking of it :wink:) The fish took a bit of getting used to it, but they're a bunch of freaks anyways, now my regal loves to play around in the current trying to eat the algae growing on it.

They are pretty pricey but a great investment for the tank (and a cool new toy!). For me it was the choice between a wavebox or a 6100. I went with the wavebox because of the ability of it to pulse and that you could bugger around with the pulse times and stuff (and at the time everyone said it was cool). I just found out yesterday you can pretty much do the same thing with the 6100 and a multicontroller. I think the waveboxes might be a bit more powerful though.

I say if you have the dough, go for it. You certainly won't regret it. :biggrin:

Tom R
06-20-2007, 04:06 PM
I have been using a wavebox since November 2006 and my corals love it. The GPS swaying back and forth is assume. If you have the $ the wavebox is a good investment. I believe a 6100 and multi controller will cost more than a wavebox.

You are welcome to come over and view my wavebox in action.

Tom R

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-20-2007, 04:07 PM
I would love to get a wavebox but the cost is what prevents me from doing it today. Already have $260+ invested in the streams, which if I could go back in time I would probably now get the wavebox instead. At this point though, I'm better off investing in one more Koralia4.

Doug
06-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Although my 6080 generates a ton of current in my cube, nothing can be more ugly. :D

Scavenger
06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
I watched a video of a 250(ish) gallon softy tank running a wavemaker and the swaying motion of the corals gave me a severe out break of the "I WANT!!!'s". It took months of theropy and medication to recover.

Chaloupa
06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
I think I am leaning towards a wavebox WITH a couple of extra powerheads (Tunze)...BUT...I have a sand bed....(now I wish in a way I didn't but I do like the look of sand) I am hoping I don't have a constant sand storm! I have been offered a wavebox by a very kindly reefer to try out on my tank to see if I even like it! (how nice is THAT?) so may do that and see how it goes... I don't mind spending the money ONCE........but not over and over!

Chaloupa
06-26-2007, 05:04 AM
Guysmiley (Garrick) has offered to send me his wavebox to try on the tank before I buy, and I am going to probably add a couple of Tunze to the mix...so I think, if all goes well....and I like this effect (thanks to the reefer who suggested that mix!!!:wink:)it will be the way I go...will update! thanks again for all the suggestions.

Justusfish
06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
I wish someone would offer me their wavebox!!! They're a bit pricey and I have yet to save up the appropriate amount of pennies!

Chaloupa
06-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Yes, I was quite surprised....but at least I can make the decision...and maybe once it's here Garrick will decide to sell it for a really good price:lol:!!!

Justusfish
06-27-2007, 01:09 AM
not meaning to hijack, but if someone does have a wavebox with controller they wanna sell at a good price. I'm your man.