PDA

View Full Version : moving - NEW QUESTION

krish
06-20-2007, 12:07 AM
I'm going to be driving to ON, which means from start to finish my fish / corals will be tankless for 5 days.

I plan on putting the 2 small fish and 6 small corals in a container with an air pump.

What should I do with the live rock to minimize die-off?

Any suggestions as to how to minimize the risk of killing things?

Tank - BC 29
Fish - clownfish, royal gramma
Corals - a couple of mushrooms, a small candy cane, a small toadstool, a small xenia, a small patch of gsp

(everything's a little bigger now than in this picture)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/hillkd/Fish/fts.jpg

PS - if I just sell everything and start again there will be no starting again, unless someone wants to buy what I have for lfs prices :wink:

skylord
06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Any chance a local reefer can hold it for you for 4 of those days then overnight it to you?

Scott

mark
06-20-2007, 04:55 AM
Nice tank but really doesn't look like anything irreplaceable.

Five days is a long time, suggest selling and then setting a system back up once settled

No need to pay LFS prices if getting from fellow reefers. Don't think I've bought a single coral from a LFS.

Robw
06-20-2007, 05:08 AM
When I moved from Yellowknife to Calgary I had a friend look after my fish, anemone and corals for me. I put the live rock in rubbermaid tubs with water, powerheads and heaters. I ran it all off an inverter. The heaters were in hard pvc tubes to prevent the rock from breaking them. Once my tank was setup again and cycled I had the livestock air shipped to me. I don't think I would risk moving fish or corals this way, only live rock.

Rob

wetcoast
06-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Another one for the "find someone to hold your stuff for a month" recommendation. I drove from Winnipeg to Vancouver earlier this year, and was actually going to haul dozens of pieces of coral, live rock, and get this, jugs of water so that the first thing I did when I opened up that U-Haul door is setup a fishtank.

Something in my mind (girlfriend) said it probably wasn't the best idea... I'm 4 months in my new place and I still don't have a tank setup - thankfully Quinn@PrairieReefSupplies is a great guy and hasn't made too much noise.

If you setup your tank within first week of moving in, remember, you may (will) have to deal with a cycle all over again, unless you haul water - and thats heavy, gets wet all over your furniture when the rubbermaid tote springs a leak. Good luck on the move!

krish
06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Nice tank but really doesn't look like anything irreplaceable.

What if they don't have xenia or gsp in Ontario?!

J/K

I know that's all pretty cheap and basic stuff, I guess after seeing it all grow so much I'd like to hold onto it.

The fish will be going up for sale. As for the corals, I really don't know any other reefers well enough to ask them to hold on to my stuff for me so...

Could I keep them in a bucket w. a light, a heater and a powerhead and give them frequent water changes till the tank cycles?

wetcoast
06-20-2007, 04:03 PM
It would be a 50/50 gamble IMO. Do you know anyone at your destination that could help setup a tank for you prior to your arrival?

I've lost a whole tank due to moving as well - thats another story alltogether.

Gools
06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I plan on doing the same when I move to BC with my acro's. Except I have help on the other end. Rubbermaid containers, with rock cycling so when I ship my stuff it will be ok. I hope

krish
06-22-2007, 12:56 AM
What's the best way to minimize die-off on the live rock?

Submerged?
Surrounded with wet packing paper?
Some water with wet packing paper?

Thanks

wetcoast
06-22-2007, 01:31 AM
I would keep it fully submerged if at all possible.

krish
06-28-2007, 04:16 AM
One final question: do the live rock and corals need an air pump or will they be fine w/o it?