PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis

sharuq1
06-18-2007, 07:39 PM
I have Bryopsis in my tank. I have been pulling it out. At first I tried scrubbing it off with a toothbrush in another bucket, rinsing that off then back into the tank, but that did not work.

What are your ideas for getting rid of it? Natural methods available? (ie. critters) Keep in mind this is for the tank in my sig (so I can't have a tang for instance, lol *runs from tang police for mentioning it*:lol: )

Things tried in my tank so far and/or ideas I have read about:
So far I have heard dosing Mg ( I don't know how without nuking things, I am a noob), lawnmower blenny (have one, he likes film but not bryopsis), emerald crab (not sure if these would eat my polyps too?), copperband butterfly (too big for my tank), lettuce nudibranch (heard they blow into powerheads and die), cooking the rock (I have coral on it and I don't want the coral to die and I really don't want to try this option), and macro algae (I have some in my tank, some red stuff from the LFS that looks cool and some green stuff that looks like wacky alien mushroom-like caulerpa: if it grows enough I am hoping it will take out a lot of the nutrients--I like the idea of a fuge but don;t know how to do that without wrecking my BC14), snails (so far they won't eat it), keep pulling it off (don;t think that is gonna be a long term solution).

Nothing has reached epidemic proportions or anything, but I would like to be on top of this. What has worked for you? Pros/cons? Details, details :D

Der_Iron_Chef
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Something in my tank eats bryopsis. I suspect the sea hare. When I lent it out, some bryopsis grew back. When I got it back...it was gone within a week.

Have you read this (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1113109) thread on RC? I'm assuming so. Interesting concept!

dockrat
06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
This is my last ditch means to get rid of nasty pests, this only works if you have localized problems (not desinged for whole tank treatment) and you can remove the rock out of the tank
I use a torch lighter and fry the algea off the this distroys everything including the roots, I must admit this is quite drastic but it works well, keep in mind this will also kill every thing around that area including corals and coraline... I have used it to kill bubble algea, bryopsis, grape algea and lots more... But be careful

fishface
06-18-2007, 10:31 PM
there's a thread over on RC about boosting Mg to kill it. seems as though peeps have been having alot of success with this method. i haven't read through the whole thread but might be worth your while.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1113109&highlight=bryopsis

Reefer Rob
06-19-2007, 12:35 AM
Just baste the patches with boiling hot water. It will be gone for good in a couple of days. You have to systematically get rid of every little bit of it.

fishface
06-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Just baste the patches with boiling hot water. It will be gone for good in a couple of days. You have to systematically get rid of every little bit of it.
i can attest to this method as well, worked for me few years back.