PDA

View Full Version : GSP opinions/help?

sharuq1
06-15-2007, 02:35 PM
I noticed that the tips of my GSP were looking blackened so I looked for a cause. I found these little snails on my GSP. On further observation I noted they are ALWAYS on the GSP and nowhere else. Looked to me like they were snacking on it. I had read you could do a 10 min. FW dip on coral for these kinds of problems and I did but now the GSP looks terrible. The polyps will not even come out at all, and the purple looks less purple. Did I kill it?? :sad:

Der_Iron_Chef
06-15-2007, 02:38 PM
I doubt you killed it. Just give it time.

fishoholic
06-15-2007, 03:28 PM
GSP can hide for a long time before comming back out again, so give it time and they should make an apperance eventually. Our GSP once hid for 3 weeks before making a comeback, this was due to not using RO water, apperently somthing in the tap water was added that prime did not get rid of.:neutral:

Jro
06-15-2007, 07:34 PM
GSP is like a weed. I agree with Der_Iron_Chef, just give it time and it will cover all your rock in no time! :P

sharuq1
06-18-2007, 02:13 AM
Well to update, the polyps look like they exploded :puppydog: I can see the tubes and on the top it...well it just looks like they went poof... *sigh* It seems 10 mins is too long for a fw dip.... :sad: I am leaving the rock in there on the off chance something makes it, but at this point it does not look likely :cry:

Rippin
06-18-2007, 06:14 AM
Sorry to hear about your GSP. Yes, 10 mins is too long to leave it in fresh water - should be no more than 3 mins. I made the mistake of leaving mine in fresh water for about 5 mins and that was too long as well. The tips of the polyps became extremely bright green, as if the actual polyp liquified inside the tubes. Needless to say, the GSP rock didn't survive and I learned the hard way. Would it have recovered? - possibly, but after a week if just started to flake away and I didn't want to risk having extra nitrates in the tank because of dead coral.

UnderWorldAquatics
06-18-2007, 06:57 AM
Well to update, the polyps look like they exploded :puppydog: I can see the tubes and on the top it...well it just looks like they went poof... *sigh* It seems 10 mins is too long for a fw dip.... :sad: I am leaving the rock in there on the off chance something makes it, but at this point it does not look likely :cry:

Not tryin to crap on you or anything, just wondering why you did a freshwater dip for 10 minutes!!!! If someone advised you to do that, you need to get a new source of advice....if it was a rookie mistake...you now know something you didnt before.... ;)
Cheers!

sharuq1
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
1. Yes I am a noob. I spend hours and hours researching and looking on forums to try to increase my knowledge, but as we have seen in this example not all advice is good advice.
2. Found this particular advice on a forum (don't remember which forum at the moment)
3. I honestly thought I was doing the right thing....:sad: *sigh* live and learn...

4. For future reference how long is a FW dip for a coral for pests etc. supposed to be???

5. Should I leave the rock covered in (probably) dead GSP on the off chance it recovers or no? Or should I just rip off all the GSP on it?

UnderWorldAquatics
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
FW coral dips range in time depending on the species and their condition, I usually watch them closely durring the dip, watching for signs of stress. And it hard to say about keeping your GSP without seeing it in person. Sorry about being so vague, its an aquired skill....

BMW Rider
06-19-2007, 09:06 PM
I've got too much GSP. I need some of those snails :lol:

sharuq1
06-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Well I am gonna stick this one one my "woops I screwed up list". Live and learn. I still have a teeny tiny frag I made off of this rock before I nuked it. It only has a few polyps on it, but at least it is alive. I took most of what was left of the gsp off of the rock and threw the rock in my 7g (nothing in that tank right now anyway, it is still cycling). Thanks for the replies guys.