PDA

View Full Version : Mantis shrimp and the summer temperature

kwirky
06-14-2007, 10:06 PM
I've heard that mantis shrimp are extremely hardy. I'm wondering if one would be hardy enough to keep in my bedroom during the summer months. It gets pretty hot in there durnig the summer. I live in calgary, and it's an east facing room. I keep the blinds closed most of the time.

Tangman
06-15-2007, 12:04 AM
They maybe hardy, but a shrimp is a shrimp and it doesn't take much heat to cook a shrimp, no matter how you cook it in the aquarium, stove or bar-b-cue

justinl
06-15-2007, 01:11 AM
tangman's got a point. regardless of how hardy they are mantids should be kept in an environment that is kept as ideal as possible.

that said there are intertidal species of mantids (like N. wennerae for example) who are SUPER hardy (even for a mantis) and are used to soaring temperatures since they get stuck in tidepools all the time. If you really want it, have a couple fans blowing accross the surface of the water and keep up with top offs.

btw i dont think you really want a mantis in your bedroom. they often go into a home renovation mode where they just completely renovate their burrow. this involves a lot of clicking and IME they can work a while into the night if they're in this stage despite the fact that they are normally diurnal.

Moogled
06-15-2007, 01:21 AM
I keep mine in my room. I love it.

kwirky
06-15-2007, 03:31 AM
I have a feeling fans will be enough. It won't have heavy lighting since it'll only be the mantis. If it turns out too hot in the later part of the summer, I'll move the tank downstairs to the basement till september.