PDA

View Full Version : Nori Cause Skimmer to Go Nuts?

Johnny Reefer
06-14-2007, 05:32 AM
My Yellow Tang needs more green in his diet so I'm trying Nori. (So far he and the Powder Blue pretty much ignore it). But I digress....my skimmer went nuts today and wondering if the Nori was the cause. Does Nori affect skimmers?

Thanx much,

Der_Iron_Chef
06-14-2007, 05:34 AM
It never affected mine. Was the nori seasoned at all, perchance?

My tang ignored it at first, too.

Johnny Reefer
06-14-2007, 05:49 AM
I'd heard of seasoned Nori so made sure that wasn't on the package. Just said "Roasted".
How long did your Tang take to start eating it?

Chaloupa
06-14-2007, 05:58 AM
my Naso refused it for days and days...then I soaked it in garlic...and finally he ate it..now he eats it like crazy! But back to the thread question....my skimmers on all my tanks have no change when I feed Nori...and one tank gets LOTS in a day...hope that helps!

Der_Iron_Chef
06-14-2007, 05:58 AM
A week or so, I reckon. I soaked it in garlic supplement. Now I don't, but he takes to it like a wild beast!

christyf5
06-14-2007, 02:05 PM
You could change brands. I couldn't get my fish to touch one kind, then they went nuts for another. Every time I go to the store now I seem to get a different kind as I can never remember the brand. They eat whatever now, they're like Pavlovian dogs, they can see the nori coming :razz:

fishoholic
06-14-2007, 07:21 PM
My tangs love nori, they didn't at first but after my foxface showed them how much he loves the stuff they started going nuts for it too :biggrin: I guess they didn't want to be left out! Never noticed it affecting the skimmer.

Johnny Reefer
06-15-2007, 02:43 AM
So, while waiting for them to figure it out....do you just leave the same sheet hanging there for days, or change it out for a fresh one every day? Did you starve your Tangs of other foods? It's like they don't even see it and don't even know it's there.

Simple questions, I know, but thanx much,

christyf5
06-15-2007, 02:49 AM
I used to remove it from the tank after a couple hours if the fish didn't touch it. Once it gets good and wet it starts to break up into little floaty bits that no doubt would be in the very back of my tank where I couldn't reach them.

I never starved my fish of any other foods. I do believe I tried putting both selcon and garlic on it. The garlic is a definite attractant, they'd be hard pressed to ignore it.

Chaloupa
06-15-2007, 03:20 AM
I only left it in for a few hours...then I would put in a new one the next day...but all the while feeding regular foods...

Der_Iron_Chef
06-15-2007, 05:50 AM
So, while waiting for them to figure it out....do you just leave the same sheet hanging there for days, or change it out for a fresh one every day? Did you starve your Tangs of other foods? It's like they don't even see it and don't even know it's there.

Simple questions, I know, but thanx much,

Yeah, the nori definitely starts getting ugly after a day. I leave it overnight as my urchin and sea hare go for it then.

My tang didn't notice it at ALL at first. Just give it time. Be persistent.

Johnny Reefer
06-19-2007, 12:29 AM
..then I soaked it in garlic...
Forgive me. One more dumb question. Okay, nine.
How do you soak it? Garlic extract? Crushed? Minced? Paste? What's a garlic supplement? I looked for garlic extract at two grocery stores. No go. Specialty store? Italian? Chinese?

Thanx much,

wickedfrags
06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Try the Sera Spirulna tablets for your tangs. They do not make a mess in the tank or displease your skimmer. They also do not fall apart like the cheaper stick-on pellets.

Chaloupa
06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Hey Mark! I use Garlic Guard by Seachem....its liquid garlic for fishes.....there is a more concentrated product; Kent Marine Garlic Extreme that you could use also, it worked for mine...I use it in all my fish foods....

Johnny Reefer
06-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Thanx Sarah. I'll see if SP has any tomorrow.

Johnny Reefer
06-23-2007, 04:54 AM
Thanx people. They aren't addicted yet, but both my Powder Blue and Yellow Tangs have been seen pecking at and eating the Nori. :smile:

Cheers,

Chaloupa
06-23-2007, 05:07 AM
and if that Powder Blue is a problem he can come and live with me ANYTIME!! I would really like one down the road as a "last addition"