PDA

View Full Version : Missing Clownfish, wtf

likwid
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey guys.. I have a 10g tank that has been up and running for over 6 months now. In it I had a clownfish, 2 hermits, 2 turbos, and 3 astrea snails, as well as some various corals. I came home from work today to find that my clownfish is no where to be seen. I have checked all the rockwork, coral, etc, and I have no idea where it vanished to. Has this happened to any of you before? What should I do now?

justinl
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
sux. are you sure its not hiding in the rockwork? any corals that might be predatory to it? check the floor around the tank, maybe you got a jumper?

Der_Iron_Chef
06-13-2007, 11:19 PM
This has happened to me before. Then...lo and behold...fish!

likwid
06-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I have looked everywhere and he is no where in sight. The only corals I have are zoos, xenia, frogspawn and candy cane.

Corbin
06-13-2007, 11:32 PM
thats happen to me before, with a damsel, i thought it jumped out somehow and my cat ate it lol. but it showd up a week later.

marcingo
06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
happened to me with 2 clown as well, completely dissapeared and no body to be found, then it happened to me with a damsel no where to be found either. One day it was there the next gone.

Chaloupa
06-14-2007, 01:17 AM
My Mom lost a firefish in her tank and I lost a two spot Blenny in mine..never to be seen again..no body, no nothing

Moogled
06-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Royal Gramma here.

I wouldn't look into it too much. Chances are it probably got eaten by a crab or another type of hitcher, especially if some members on this board find an unexpected crab after 2 years of not adding any liverock.

Wait a week and then just grab another Clown and hope it doesn't vanish this time around (or the missing one reappears, haha).

michika
06-14-2007, 02:33 AM
I feel for you.

I've had both potential outcomes happen; I've found sun dried jawfish on my floor, and I've also had a tang go missing for over a month, only to reappear randomly one night.

Corbin
06-14-2007, 02:41 AM
this happens to all many fish, newts frogs i have. every newt ive ever owned (all in completely sealed terrariums) have all disappered without a trace, looked all over my room, in there tanks everywhere, never to be seen again. one of my firebellied toads got out of its completely sealed incloser, sealed almost so tight that not even air could get in. and in the middle of the night i woke up to it beside my bed!! it could never have jumped the 14 " to the top of the tank squeezed through the tiny hole 10times smaller then it. i have more storys, but anyways, i think animals can teleport, call me crazy but i do HAHA

digital-audiophile
06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
This happened to me three times with a juevenile clownfish in my tank.

first time, found him in the sump (he was so small he made it through the eggcrate on my overflow and went for the pipe ride into the sump)

second time I found him in the sump again.

third time (two days ago) I found him as a piece of fish jerky behind the tank :(

likwid
06-14-2007, 03:04 PM
This is insane. I looked absolutely everywhere, lifted up every rock, moved corals, etc, and its no where

muck
06-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Any chance its in the sump or worse, behind the tank on the floor? :sad:

Phanman
06-14-2007, 03:54 PM
thats weird cuz i just lost 1 of my clown fish 3 nights ago too. Checked to make sure everything was ok in the morning (which it was), went to work, came home and the little guy just dissapeared. No dead body pieces anywhere, and i spent the whole night checking each LR with nothing.... very mysterious.

Canadbis
06-14-2007, 05:25 PM
I had a tomato clown and just recently 1 Anthias.

I agree Animals can teleport if they really need to

kadaytar
06-15-2007, 05:13 AM
Sory to hear that.Do you use hang on tank filter or protein skimmer? Especialy percula/ocellaris clowns may get sucked by them. I hope i am wrong .

Jro
06-15-2007, 07:28 PM
What kind of tank do you have? If it is one of the all-in-ones with the false walls, I've heard of clownfish jumping the barriers into the fuge.

Quagmire
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Its been a couple days now.Perhaps you should test your water.If it was stuck inside a hole in the rock and died,it should show a pretty good sized spike on a test kit by now I would think.