PDA

View Full Version : There are billions and billions of stars...

EmilyB
12-20-2002, 03:59 AM
:wink:

Sally Jo says NO... :lol:

I have all these white stars......some have five arms.....some have more or less...Milky Way in the AM..

Is that okay?

AJ_77
12-20-2002, 04:25 AM
So THAT's where these came from!

Doug
12-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Deb, if they are very small, and a mag glass is needed to see them good, then they may be a type of hydroid,{I believe thats what I was told. :) }

MitchM
12-21-2002, 05:08 AM
I have all these white stars......some have five arms.....some have more or less...Milky Way in the AM..

Is that okay?

If they're mutant stars....half stars-between 1 and 7 arms-1/8 - 1/2"....they're fine, I've got tons too.

Mitch

EmilyB
12-21-2002, 06:44 AM
Definite mutants.....thanks Mitch. :)

I've been seeding the other tanks with them as they seem to really clean the glass at night, helpful in the tanks that can't have snails :wink: .

Tau2301
12-21-2002, 04:08 PM
Thought I would ask if I could have some before Jon gets them. :D

Canadian Man
12-21-2002, 07:24 PM
:P

Bob I
12-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Definite mutants.....thanks Mitch. :)

If they were mutants we would have something called simultaneous mutation?? :?: :?: :?:

I have them too, I guess they are hitchikers. :D

EmilyB
12-21-2002, 11:44 PM
Thought I would ask if I could have some before Jon gets them. :D

Of course you can Kim.......do you EVER check your PM btw.... :roll: :wink:

StirCrazy
12-21-2002, 11:50 PM
If they were mutants we would have something called simultaneous mutation?? :?: :?: :?:

I have them too, I guess they are hitchikers. :D

Maby they are from the water :shock: :lol: 8)

Steve

Tau2301
12-22-2002, 03:20 AM
Hey, I did have a message.

PM'ed ya back.

Delphinus
12-22-2002, 05:27 AM
I finally clued in to the "Sally Jo" reference.... :roll:

I have starfish that look like the ones vilified on GARF, but they have never posed a problem for me.

I remember many many years ago, a discussion about these stars on rec.aquaria.marine.reefs, Mike Noren was saying there were species that were coral predators and some that aren't. I beleive Delbeek and Sprung say the same thing somewhere in their TRA books: some OK, some not.

The ones that I have, because they divide by fission, are almost always in some state where half the star is regrowing and thus lob-sided.

I have them in all my tanks. Never seen one on a coral. They seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the glass "reasonably" clean... (for certain they do a better job than I do.. :oops: )

Bob I
12-22-2002, 04:45 PM
I finally clued in to the "Sally Jo" reference.... :roll:
I am afraid I don't, too esoteric for me. :?

I beleive Delbeek and Sprung say the same thing somewhere in their TRA books: some OK, some not.

The ones that I have, because they divide by fission, are almost always in some state where half the star is regrowing and thus lob-sided.

I promised I would say nothing about possible errors, so I did not. :D :wink: :wink:

EmilyB
12-22-2002, 09:38 PM
Ah yes, the infamous Leroy and Sally Jo.... :roll:

They get letters from lots of cool people like Chubby and Imogene Tatum.... :lol:

Delphinus
12-22-2002, 10:36 PM
Bob, Sally Jo is one the folks over at GARF, and she has a page somewhere that shows these little starfish, and claims that they are predators of SPS.

What's wrong with my sentence? I thought it a perfectly good run-on sentence. Please stop dangling your participles at me. I will type, in, my; posts? as, I, see: fit. So there!

EmilyB
12-23-2002, 06:40 AM
And don't forget....if you get bored the GARF files are good for a long session of amusement for one and all... :shock:

http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=31

AJ_77
12-23-2002, 03:27 PM
Please stop dangling your participles at me!
Has anyone stopped laughing at this yet??? Have you seen Bob's participles??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Much more of this, and I'm gonna get fired. :D :lol: :oops:

Bob I
12-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Bob, Sally Jo is one the folks over at GARF, and she has a page somewhere that shows these little starfish, and claims that they are predators of SPS.

What's wrong with my sentence? I thought it a perfectly good run-on sentence. Please stop dangling your participles at me. I will type, in, my; posts? as, I, see: fit. So there!

It is not the sentence, but the "beleive', and "lob-sided", I know I promised, but for the betterment of all, I must explain. :D :D

Delphinus
12-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Deb, if you're interested here is a thread on RC about Asterina sp. stars..

http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59056

BTW, it's in Dr. Ron's forum, so proceed at own risk... ;)