PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Pet Peeves

Pescador
06-13-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm sure everyone has a maintenance chore that bugs them, or the thing that keeps your reef from being trouble free.

I'll start with:
cleaning calcified Tunze pumps in Streamrocks (my number one PP)
cleaning the air intakes on my skimmers
refilling a calcium reactor (Thanks Chin Lee for reminding me of this one)

michika
06-13-2007, 07:48 PM
- Cleaning pumps

christyf5
06-13-2007, 07:57 PM
cleaning my barebottomed tank (yay fish poo and crusty algae!)

cleaning my skimmer (apparently you're supposed to clean the whole thing every once in awhile to "achieve peak performance". my arm is too fat to reach all the way in and then I get scratched up by those little fan worm tubes they're sharp!).

cleaning my tunze powerheads (ok would they just stop growing algae already?? between the algae and all the valonia they suck up :razz:

hmm, I'm starting to think its any cleaning that has to do with my tank. Oh wait, I don't mind washing the filter sock, thats pretty easy :razz:

exee
06-14-2007, 01:22 AM
my pet peeves would have to be trying the move a rock to a better spot only to have my clown fishes start attacking my hands or accidentally knocking over a frag or rock while cleaning and then having a hard time getting it out of the small hole which it fell into...

Der_Iron_Chef
06-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Windexing.

niloc16
06-14-2007, 02:25 AM
trying to syphon hair algae at the bottom of the tank that you cannot even touch because it is so bloody deep. i just finished and i get so PO'd by this crap and not being able to reach it to syphon it out. sorry i'm a little frustrated right now.:twised:

michika
06-14-2007, 02:26 AM
Oh another one; accidental frags that result from trying to clean all the coraline and algae off your glass.

Snappy
06-14-2007, 02:53 AM
For me it's cleaning the skimmer and especially the air inlet. Oh I also dislike having to scrape the coraline algae off my acrylic tank(refugium) with a plastic card.

Moogled
06-14-2007, 02:55 AM
...My clowns are aggro when I venture near their brain coral to vac some detritus, haha.

...I don't vac detritus in that area anymore. :|

Reefer Rob
06-14-2007, 04:07 AM
Scraping the back and sides is absolutely the worst chore.

LOL, cleaning out my skimmer cup is somewhere between making me want to vomit, and the satisfaction of getting that crud out of my aquarium.

Johnny Reefer
06-14-2007, 05:26 AM
Not really what your looking for, but I'm peeved :mad:.
Planning to empty the skimmer collection cup the next day (tomorrow!) and the skimmer decides to go crazy and overflow (today!) thus dumping 10 days worth of skimmate back into the system. Grrrrrrrrr!

Der_Iron_Chef
06-14-2007, 05:37 AM
Not really what your looking for, but I'm peeved :mad:.
Planning to empty the skimmer collection cup the next day (tomorrow!) and the skimmer decides to go crazy and overflow (today!) thus dumping 10 days worth of skimmate back into the system. Grrrrrrrrr!

OH man. That sucks!

megatron_55
06-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Mine . . . Cleaning up "after cleaning up" . . . you know . . . after YOU THINK your done cleaning for the day. . .

Then you have to clean your buckets, your brushes, scrapers, syphons, etc etc . . oh and specially the bathroom where I wash most of my stuff . . .

If this post doesnt make sense sorry im really tired . . . for those of you who gets it . . . Kudos to you =)

DanG
06-16-2007, 05:07 AM
the thing I hate the most is mixing the water so it's exactly the same parameters as the tank, alk, mg, ca.
It used to be cleaning the glass, but I spent some money on a real mag float and the OM algae cleaner attachment, and that's turned into something I can actually handle doing twice a week.

FishFun
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
My pp is taking apart a mag drive pump clean it or whatever then put it all together only to have it leak & have to do it all over again!!!!!!! But my #1 pp is micro bubbles they will drive me to :drinking:

sharuq1
06-18-2007, 02:18 AM
Trying to get detritus from hard to reach areas or clean the glass where the rocks are too close to it....and then bumping one &**&%^ rock and having all of them displaced, then screwing around with them for an hour to get them stable again..:mad: Soooo bleeping frusterating