PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of this RO/DI

argileh
06-13-2007, 04:09 PM
I am now in the market for a RO/DI unit. I've been getting my RO/DI water from a purified water supplier. Initially I used to test the water every time with my TDS meter and it always showed 0ppm. Last week I tested the water when I got home and it showed 15ppm. This is really annoying since tap water here in Burnaby usually reads 11-16ppm.

Long story short, I want to buy a RO/DI unit. They sell at least for $300 at Local LFSs. I saw this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180129444309&rd=1&rd=1

Is ther any risk buying these units. Will it be a problem finding replacement filters for them.

seashells
06-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Try this one. We all did a group buy some time back. Ours has worked great.

Aqua-Safe Systems Ltd
Address : 5908 Marine Drive, West Vancouver, BC V7W 2S2
Telephone : 604-922-3030
Category : Water Purification & Filtration Equipment
Directory : North-West Vancouver

wickedfrags
06-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I have an aquasafe unit as well with dual DI. Does the trick for me.

Try this one. We all did a group buy some time back. Ours has worked great.

Aqua-Safe Systems Ltd
Address : 5908 Marine Drive, West Vancouver, BC V7W 2S2
Telephone : 604-922-3030
Category : Water Purification & Filtration Equipment
Directory : North-West Vancouver

PoonTang
06-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I am now in the market for a RO/DI unit. I've been getting my RO/DI water from a purified water supplier. Initially I used to test the water every time with my TDS meter and it always showed 0ppm. Last week I tested the water when I got home and it showed 15ppm. This is really annoying since tap water here in Burnaby usually reads 11-16ppm.

Long story short, I want to buy a RO/DI unit. They sell at least for $300 at Local LFSs. I saw this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=008&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180129444309&rd=1&rd=1

Is ther any risk buying these units. Will it be a problem finding replacement filters for them.
Dont buy it! They dont even state what size the filters are or wether it is granulated carbon or not. Stick with a reputible dealer in the aquarium industry like PURELY H2O. You must use 1 micron filters and solid block 1 micron carbon.

argileh
06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Dont buy it! They dont even state what size the filters are or wether it is granulated carbon or not. Stick with a reputible dealer in the aquarium industry like PURELY H2O. You must use 1 micron filters and solid block 1 micron carbon.

Does anyone know if the AquaSafe units meet these specs (1 micron filters and solid block 1 micron carbon)

wickedfrags
06-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Think you get the 1 micron sediment now, but the 1 or 5 micron carbon is not a solid block. You can always but replacement filters when you need them, you will still get 0 TDS. Even get one right away if you are concerned.

I paid over $850 for my first RO unit back in 1999. I bought this one of eBay and I get the same results for a lot less.

This is the unit I have, and I have ALOT invested. I now use an old RO unit housing for 2 prefilters *5 then 1 micron), note this one is slighly pimped out... :) It is built on an aquasafe unit though.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/djelley/TOTM%20-%20May%202007/Equipment%20Pics/RODI_unit-1.jpg

TRIX
06-13-2007, 09:14 PM
If you go with aquasafe make sure to request a cataloge rather than buying it on their website or ebay. They have 3 diffrent prices depending on how you buy it.

mark
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm another happy Aquasafe user. It works and is relatively cheap compared for what I've seen marketed specially for aquariums.

With your source water TDS so low, I'd almost consider going without filter.

Aqua-safe eBay store (http://stores.ebay.ca/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop), if you click on a system there's info plus a tech support link

NateL
06-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Just curious, why is the solid block carbon a must? Is granulated no good?

RonPeter
06-14-2007, 01:05 AM
Just curious, why is the solid block carbon a must? Is granulated no good?

Water will make path's through the granulated carbon and end up not being very efficient where the solid block carbon the water is forced evenly through it thus working more efficient.

argileh
06-14-2007, 01:13 AM
If you go with aquasafe make sure to request a cataloge rather than buying it on their website or ebay. They have 3 diffrent prices depending on how you buy it.

I found several Aquasafe Maximus II listed on ebay. Bid on one and won it. US$49.99 + US$37.50 for shipping. Good deal I beleive

DanG
06-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Good call, the Aquasafe units have treated everyone I know of that has one really well.

fishface
11-11-2007, 02:31 AM
If you go with aquasafe make sure to request a cataloge rather than buying it on their website or ebay. They have 3 diffrent prices depending on how you buy it.this is interesting TRIX, thanks for that information. could you please inform me as to where the BEST prices were?

i would greatly appreciate that,