PDA

View Full Version : Converting a lawn mower into a generator.

cc_bruno
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Well with all of the threats of flooding and potential loss of power, I figured someone had to have come up with a quick and dirty way to generate power with just a few "household" items. And with the amazing power of the internet, I was able to find someone who did ;)

Here's the link: http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Easy enough for anyone to build, and it will do in a pinch.

Enjoy.

Robert

Matt
06-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Well with all of the threats of flooding and potential loss of power, I figured someone had to have come up with a quick and dirty way to generate power with just a few "household" items. And with the amazing power of the internet, I was able to find someone who did ;)

Here's the link: http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

Easy enough for anyone to build, and it will do in a pinch.

Enjoy.

RobertAll you need is a working lawnmower, a car altenator, a power inverter and some HD 12V batteries, a v-belt, cast-iron pulley, some lumber, some cables, and some time. Material costs alone make this a loser, even if you already have the lawnmower. emergencypower.com will sell you a 950w gas generator for US$149 + $25 shipping (from Toronto).

I know that economics isn't the point for a DIY project, but...

cc_bruno
06-13-2007, 09:54 PM
True... but if you lost power today, you could be up and running in no time, (assuming you don't mind ripping the battery and alternator out of your car / truck for a few hours). Also, if you have the time, you could pick up the lawnmower on craigslist for a few bucks, a used alternator for cheap ($24.95 at Pick-A-Part in Chilliwack... I'm sure the cost would be close at any local autowrecker), and the remaining parts from Princess Auto.

In a perfect world power would never go out, (and we'd all have enough money for this hobby), but, in a pinch, this would do, (assuming you already have an inverter kicking around) :) But you are right... it can be bought for close to the same price, (maybe even cheaper), for a better one... But it's one more tool in your toolbox that you can set up in a pinch if need be.

Robert

Static
06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm pretty sure modern 4 cylinder cars would burn almost the same gas per hour as a lawn mower so why not just hook up the inverter to your car?

Zoaelite
06-15-2007, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty sure modern 4 cylinder cars would burn almost the same gas per hour as a lawn mower so why not just hook up the inverter to your car?

I have a feeling we might have some Hitler tactics coming into play accidentally here if we keep this up :\