PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Ich?

Slick Fork
06-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi there,

I was looking at my tank today and noticed a spot on my foxface, just 1 spot that looks like it may be ich. Checked out my clowns and the female looks like she might have one as well. Unfortunately my camera crapped out so I can't get a picture. I checked out all the sites, unfortunately the pictures that are available all seem to be of massively infected fish so it makes it tough to say "Yeah, that's it" or "Whew, I'm safe"

Just the three of them (1 foxface, 2 ocellaris clowns) in a 100 gallon display (40 gallon sump) I also have a Blenny in quarantine with about a week to go. Now I've had this tank up and running since the end of November, The last one in was the foxface and he joined the crew in the display at the end of February. Since then, the last thing I added was some LR around the beginning of may, end of april. I have never noticed Ich in the tank before so to the best of my knowledge I thought I had dodged that bullet.

So here are my questions:

1) Can ich go unnoticed or in a mild state for months? Or could my spot(s) be something else

2) I hate to cause unnecessary stress, should I wait it out for a few days to be sure (see if it spreads) or send these guys into quarantine asap?

3) If the consensus is treat now because I'm better safe than sorry, my plan of attack will be hyposalinity, how gradually should I bring the salinity down? My target will be 1.009, how long should I keep them there. Since I may be going through all this, I should probably give the blenny the hypo treatment with the other three as well or is this a bad idea.

Thanks and Cheers

Slick Fork
06-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Oh yeah,

Should also mention that they all have great appetites and are behaving normally

Thanks

fishytime
06-13-2007, 03:36 AM
From what I understand ich is present in the tank all the time. A healthy and unstressed fish has the ability to fight off the parasite. Its when a fish becomes stressed (like when you bring them home from the store or being harassed etc) that the bug can take hold and go through it life cycle. Is it a fowlr or reef?

Renegade
06-13-2007, 03:58 PM
to be honest i wouldn't go through all that trouble, run out to your LFS and buy a cleaner wrasse and 2 cleaner shrimp they take care of it for you. remember "not all bugs need drugs" sorry i couldn't resist just watched that commercial, but don't rush it. Sometimes i wonder if fish die from the disease or use trying to quire them. Theres no magic quarantine tank in the wild.

But thats my 2 cens

P.s> I have a power blue in my display (120) and a bunch of other fish, now my power blue has a case of ich, am i going to touch him no b/c he has a good apatite and he'll get better on his own, I have a UV sterilizer running cleaner wrasse and cleaner shrimp, i can see him going for "cleaning" all the time. moving him around is only going to stress him.

Kyle

justinl
06-13-2007, 04:59 PM
cleaner shrimp are hit or miss with parasites. DO NOT get a cleaner wrasse. these are one of those fishes that don't even belong in the fish trade. they eat parasites well, which is great but that is ALL they eat. run outta parasites (easily done in a glass box) and you run outta food. fish dies. it happens all teh time with maybe one in a thousand surviving by eating frozen.

you want a fish that will pick at parasites? get a couple of neon gobies.

howdy20012002
06-13-2007, 05:26 PM
I personally have had 2 for 2 for cleaner wrasses eating mysis. they also eat nori and whatever else i feed the tank.
Last shipment I brought in 5 red sea cleaner wrasses and they were all eating mysis from day 1 so you might see if anyone in your area carries the red sea cleaner wrasses.
If it is Ich, personally I wouldn't try to treat it.
I am pretty sure that I have killed more fish trying to cure ich more than the ich would have killed. Now I just let it takes it course.
Ich will not kill happy healthy fish.
If they are starting to show it all of a sudden, I would be more concerned about the conditions of the tank verses the condition of the fish.
If they fish are eating, IMO, leave them be and just make sure that all the parameters of the tank are GTG.
As well, if you do go the Hyposalinaty route, make sure you have no inverts or corals in the tank. Inverts will die and I am assuming most corals would as well.
HTH.
thanks
Neal

Renegade
06-13-2007, 06:28 PM
personally myself i currently have 1 cleaner wrasse, and he eats everything from seaweed to brime shrimp. pretty much anything i put into the tank.

simply ask your LFS to feed it before you purchase and see if its eating.

I think its a little harsh to say all cleaner shrimp will die, you risk any fish die just bringing them home from the fish store. Does That mean we shouldn't catch and fish for this hobby. There's a certain risk with anything. Thats the hobby.

Kyle

justinl
06-13-2007, 07:19 PM
i guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think it is fine to bring in certain fish to this hobby. others should not. yes, there is a risk with anything, but it is not fair to compare moorish idols with damsels. my list includes cleaner wrasses among others. lol, i assume you meant the wrasse when you typed shrimp.

last time i bothered to check, there are way too many cleaner wrasses that die in the search of the few that eat frozen or any other prepared food. but maybe they have started collecting in areas that have wrasses that are more adaptable? i got no idea. if the fish eats prepared fine, then yeah sure, go for it. in that case i got no problem with it.

definitely ask to see the fish eat at the store. that one is a good habit.

Slick Fork
06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
So I checked the guys again yesterday and today, and no spots yesterday and none today. Maybe it was just sand or something that got stuck to them and I jumped to conclusions. I had just read a big thread on ich on another board and that might've influenced my thought process :mrgreen:

Anyways, I'll keep an eye one them and see how it goes!

Redrover
06-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Ich outbreak a month ago..cleaner shrimp [ 3 ] and a cleaner wrasse
Turned temp. up to 82/83 for 3 days...end of problem
RJ

untamed
06-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Ich outbreak a month ago..cleaner shrimp [ 3 ] and a cleaner wrasse
Turned temp. up to 82/83 for 3 days...end of problem
RJ

Good news...but the fish may have beaten it on their own without the shrimp, wrasse and temperature. Just a thought...

howdy20012002
06-15-2007, 03:44 PM
increasing the temp just speeds up the reproduction process....
It won't actually kill the Ich.