PDA

View Full Version : which is the best liverock?

milano07
06-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I am in the process of setting up a SW tank and I wonder theta type of liverock is the best. I know there is Fiji, Vanatu, Jakarta, Tonga just to mention some.
Which rock is the lightest and most porous.

Looking forward to hearing from all the knowledgeable SW people.
Thanks in Advance:popcorn:

dockrat
06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
All the live rock you listed are good choices, The most important thing when choosing live rock is to get a variety of shapes and sizes, and try to avoid round baseball shaped peices... I have a combo of Fiji, Vanatu, Jakarta, Tonga branch and deep water live rock... but if i had to pick a favorite i would say vanatu or jarkarta if you where going to pre order a box.

milano07
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Is it better to buy liverock from somebody leaving the SW hobby or should I get at the LFS? I know that buying it from somebody leaving the hobby is cheaper and the liverock is usually cured. But I also was told when you buy the LR at the LFS sometimes you get corals and all kind of creatures living on the rocks.

justinl
06-10-2007, 09:00 PM
yeah but when you get rock from a local reefer, there is a still a chance of corals, much less chance of undesirable hitch hikers, better cured rock, and depending on the local person, a chance of some sweet hitch hikers. plus lfs rock usually looks pretty crappy for a while until you get it covered in coralline. mind you the lfs rock can have some cool hitchers too. I got jellyfish for example... every once in a while a lil baby jelly (ephyra) shows up in my tank... it's kinda weird.

as for what is the best type of rock... well that is a preference thing. go for the more porous rock. Its usually best to go for a variety for aquascaping reasons imo.

Raf
06-11-2007, 03:50 PM
So far, we have been most pleased with Jakarta. We get it as soon as it has arrived at the store and cure it ourselves. So far, Jakarta has had the most life, cured the fastest and had the most interesting shapes at not much weight.

The other rocks you mentioned CAN also be good, but(just like with Jakarta), it depends on how it was collected and shipped. IMO, FIJI is some of the heaviest and roundest of the bunch.

HTH a bit

milano07
06-12-2007, 01:50 AM
Thanks for all the info.......