PDA

View Full Version : Maxima mantle retraction

Doug
06-10-2007, 06:19 PM
Bought this maxima from a friend but it had some retraction in the bottom portion of the mantle. Read lots on pinched mantle but seems not the same.

It was like this when I picked it up, so not from the move and it was not attached.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/505/medium/maxima_001.jpg

Its getting light from a 250w 12K, although still fairly high as I have sps acclimitizing. It was under a pair of 250 HQI bulbs with the same problem though.

Doug
06-10-2007, 06:22 PM
closer shot. Looked good with a mag glass for problem pests and cant find any yet.

i have crabs
06-10-2007, 06:41 PM
i hear a freshwater dip works wonders on clams for lots of problems but i dont have any experience with them

Tangman
06-10-2007, 07:04 PM
As for pests , I would be looking at the foot for any worm like markings or pin like holes , pests usually attack from the substrate through the foot, if that is the problem.
clams can also take a long time to get used to a new environment

castaway
06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Mine did the same after I got it. Took awhile to get used to his new home.

Doug
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
As for pests , I would be looking at the foot for any worm like markings or pin like holes , pests usually attack from the substrate through the foot, if that is the problem.
clams can also take a long time to get used to a new environment

I had a close look when I moved it to my tank. Seen nothing, then.

Doug
06-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Mine did the same after I got it. Took awhile to get used to his new home.

I hope thats the case here. Had a look through the side glass last night and could see just under the foot with a mag glass. I could see attachment strands going to the rock, so thats a good sign at least.