PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for cube stand

danny zubot
06-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I will be building the stand for my 36" cube but I'm uncertain of the strength requirements for a stand for this tank. It is 36x36x20", approx 110 gallons.

I was thinking of a latter design for the top and bottom, so basically a square with cross members made from 2x4 lumber. Then I though of doubled up 2x4's for each leg, fastend via screws to the inside of the top and bottom framing. Then I would use rare earth magnets to secure the side pannels to the frame work. It's a really simple design but I'm not sure if it would hold 1300+ lbs.

If anyone has pics of their stands please share. I'm second guessing everything about this, right down to the type of screws to use.

Thanks,

Danny

Glennrf38
06-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Danny what area of Calgary are you in? I built a stand for my 24 X 27 semi-cube if you would like to look at it.

danny zubot
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm way south in Cranston.

I can't believe people have posted photos for me!:surprise:

robzilla
06-11-2007, 07:38 PM
tagging along to see stand designs and what your using as i've got to build a stand for my 120 too

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-11-2007, 08:23 PM
If you build a square frame on top for the cube to sit on & either use 2x6s for the legs or double up 2x4s, then it would be plenty strong enough. All my stands for much bigger tanks have doubled up 2x4 legs. Now however, I prefer to attach the legs not sandwiched together but perpendicular to form an L-shape in each corner. That gives you much more stability. If you use 2x6s, you can just screw them flat at the back & parallel in the front (seen from the front). From above the legs would look like this:

_................_

I.................I

or 2x4s

._................_
[...................]

[...................]
._................_

(ignore the dots)

HTH,

Anthony

danny zubot
06-11-2007, 10:22 PM
_................_

I.................I

or 2x4s

._................_
[...................]

[...................]
._................_

(ignore the dots)

:lol: Hmmm, can't you just post a pic of yours?

I understand about the L shape thing, I will probably do that.

Glennrf38
06-12-2007, 04:07 AM
I'm way south in Cranston.

I can't believe people have posted photos for me!:surprise:

I'm in Shawnessey if you are ever in the neighbourhood... I'll try and get some pics happening for you. But with the "skin" on already it is hard to see.

Glenn