PDA

View Full Version : Can you add sand to an established tank?

Michael
12-18-2002, 12:25 PM
(Sorry if this question is in the FAQ.) Is it safe to add sand to a cycled tank? My 75g tank has no sand, but I've been thinking that it might be handy to have a sand bottom to get some fish and other marine life that like sand.
Currently it just has a damsel in the tank (or, as my wife says..."damsel in distress" :? ).
Thanks.
Michael

Doug
12-18-2002, 01:02 PM
Hi Michael,
Yes you sure can. It gets messy though and may be hard on the damsel. Use plastic bags to slowly put the sand on the bottom, or my favorite way, by using a pipe tp spread it along the bottom.

You will get a lot of fine floating material. The best way to clean it up, is to run a good power filter with cleaning floss in it. A good skimmer also cleans it well.

Remember once its established and over time, a proper amount of life must be maintained in the sandbed to keep it clean. Try to get a little live sand from another reefer to seed it.

Aquattro
12-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Also, try not to add too much at a time. I think Ron Shimek recommended 1/2 per week. This prevents burying the sand critters deeper thatn they would normally be.
To expand on Doug's pipe method, cut the bottom from aplastic cup and glue it to the pipe. Instant funnel!!