PDA

View Full Version : Frag/prop tank?

fishytime
06-08-2007, 03:01 AM
This might seem like a newb question but I was thinking about setting up a frag tank. Mostly softies and xenia and frogspawn.Plumbing it to my DT isn't an option. What do I need as far as equipment and such goes? I don't have a huge budget for this but I do have a 15 gallon tank and a spare PH, and AC HOB filter I could use. What would you'al think would be the min lighting requirements would be? Would I need LR for this? Lot of questions I know but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Snappy
06-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Why not plumb it to your main tank? You could use an external overflow.

fishytime
06-08-2007, 03:53 AM
Why not plumb it to your main tank? You could use an external overflow.

Well the biggest reason is $. I was thinking about doing a sump for the tank but after pricing every thing out and talking to a couple lfs guys I figured it was a smidge out of my reach at the moment. Have heard bad things about the CPR overflow which is cheaper than the tunze which everyone seems to suggest($190). And then there is the pump. Plus I'm a carpenter not a plumber. I could build the heck out of a tank stand or canopy but all this plumbing stuff is confusing as heck to me. Most guys are very vague and protected about their sump plans( like its the "cadbury" secret or something) and you seem to need a crowbar to get any detailed information out of them.

mark
06-08-2007, 04:35 AM
Nothing needs to be fancy about a sump. Mine's just a 75g with 3 pieces of glass as dividers. Lots of sumps here (http://www.melevsreef.com/links.html).

Snappy
06-08-2007, 05:30 AM
I'm happy to share my limited knowledge with you:wink:
Good link Mark.

scumchug
06-08-2007, 05:37 AM
Well the biggest reason is $. I was thinking about doing a sump for the tank but after pricing every thing out and talking to a couple lfs guys I figured it was a smidge out of my reach at the moment. Have heard bad things about the CPR overflow which is cheaper than the tunze which everyone seems to suggest($190). And then there is the pump. Plus I'm a carpenter not a plumber. I could build the heck out of a tank stand or canopy but all this plumbing stuff is confusing as heck to me. Most guys are very vague and protected about their sump plans( like its the "cadbury" secret or something) and you seem to need a crowbar to get any detailed information out of them.

I don't know what you have heard about CPR overflows. I have one, and doubt that anyone could possibly build one better. The only thing you need to know about plumbing is that poop floats, and everything runs down hill. I would be happy to share my limited knowledge with you, or send you pics of mine as soon as i locate my misplaced camera.

GrimReefer
06-08-2007, 06:35 AM
no reason a sump has to be complicated. the sump on my prop tank is a rubbermaid bin filled with liverock.

if you don't require surface-skimming for your overflow, check out my design for a PVC overflow that you can build in less than 20 minutes for under 20 bucks.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=255134#post255134

fishytime
06-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks Mark for that link, your right lots of ideas there. And thanks to the rest of you for your offers of help, but this has gone a little off topic here. I'm sure that eventually I will plumb in a sump but for now my original question was about a frag/prop tank and what I would need to fire one up.