PDA

View Full Version : Asm g3 mods

tang daddy
06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Hey guys been reading up about the mods for an asm g3 just p/u one used from a freind and noticed that it works fine but not like the euroreef I have on another set up. Read that a few of the mods are recirc, mesh wheel and one more but can't remember cause I was really tired when I looked it up.
Keep in mind that my bioload is really low a couple gobies and 3 shrimp 1 conch, it's running in a 33g sump with 65g display if anyone has modded their asm I would like to know what the results are also for now I have an airstone sitting infront of the intake and seems to get more bubbles but also skimming wetter thx in advance.

Chris

Delphinus
06-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I have this skimmer and I did the meshwheel mod, the gate valve mod and the recirc mod.

All told I'm not sure I would do the recirc mod again but the other two, I would totally recommend.

Maybe the recirc makes it better, I don't really know. I don't have any "before" and "after" experiences, I just went ahead and did the mods as soon as I got the skimmer.

But one thing about the recirc mod is that you have to be careful about the positioning of the new hole you cut because it has to be fairly precise otherwise you're looking at jury-rigging some plumbing to make the pump fit both holes. It's definitely a trickier mod and like I said I don't really know if it made my skimmer any better or not. I'd start with the gate valve for sure, and the meshwheel mod for sure, and go from there.

The meshwheel mod is hands-down one of the best mods you can do to any needlewheel skimmer. What a difference.

tang daddy
06-08-2007, 06:32 AM
Tony thx for the advise did you use gutter guard for the mesh?
Thx Chris

Delphinus
06-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I actually used some Enkamat PF4. Although I was going to use gutter guard if I couldn't find any of the Enkamat.