PDA

View Full Version : Yellow tang reef safe, or not?

mark
06-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Seen the post (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=254965#post254965)by 4ptbuck who had a Yellow Tang that got a taste for clam.

Know they'll eat mysis etc if feeding the tank with they but always thought the YT were considered 100% reef safe. Anyone else have one that would nibble?

UnderWorldAquatics
06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Usually they are, but its a wild animal........ nothing is reef safe if what your asking for is a wild animal to be well behaved and only do what you want it to do while looking pretty... ;)
cheers!

4ptbuck
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
He was reef safe till he started pecking!! The YT and clam have been in the tank for over a year, probably close to 2. It was only recently that he started nipping. Maybe I have a rouge YT, as he definately preferred meat over veggies anytime.

fishmaster
06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Mine likes to eat all day long. If he runs out of nori, he will nip at my zoo's...not cool. I try to make sure he always has something to pick at. It's in their nature to feed all day & it's up to us to try and meed those requirements. Otherwise they will simply eat things we don't want them to(I'm sure this only applies to some fish). If it gets worse, I'll have to give it to someone with a fowlr tank. It would be a shame as it's a very healthy fish with good charactor. While we're on the topic, does anyone have a suggestion for a good macro to grow as food for my tang? Mine doesn't care for cheato.