PDA

View Full Version : ok I need ideas on how to do this

StirCrazy
12-18-2002, 02:53 AM
I am thinking of cutting my center brace out of my tank. now I know that it is not a good idea with out bracing it a different way as my glass is only 3/8" thick and to go braceless SeaStar says I need 1/2" sooo..

what I have though of doing is using a external brace on the top of the sides.. sence my stand is made of angle iron I have a good backing places to hold the brace firm. the question is what should I make the brace out of.

I have aproximatly 5/8" space between my tank and the agle iron and the bulk of the brace can extend 1 and 3/4" from the glass. what I am thinking of is using a chunk of plywood on edge for the bracing.. or if I feel that might split then a thin straping of 1/4" x 1" flat bar which would form a frame for the plywood and suport it better..

this pic is the tank looking down on it to give you a idea of what I am thinking

http://members.shaw.ca/islandaquatics/tankframe.jpg

any better ideas?

Steve

Canadian Man
12-18-2002, 05:42 AM
Hey Steve,
Just another option to mix up the plot a little.
On my 90 with 3/8" glass I believe I decided one night that I could go with out a brace. :roll: YEA RIGHT! It bowed 1" from center to ends. I didnt sleep for 3 nights untill I came up with the idea of replacing it with acrylic.

So I glued 2 strips of acrylic together to make a 9mm thick brace. Cut it to the length that I needed it to be to put the tank back to it's origional square shape instead of round. Drilled 2 holes in each end of what was left of the old brace. Drilled 2 matching holed in the ends of the clear acrylic brace. Use thick plastic nuts and bolts and VIOLA Clear brace.

Yes I know your thread says you want to get rid of your brace but this is kinda an inbetween sollution. :wink:

StirCrazy
12-18-2002, 05:57 AM
um my brace is clear glass.. and my tank is only 3 foot so I don't think it would bow a whole inch :shock: your lucky that didn't brake.

what I am thinking is kinda like making my own euro brace but on the outside instead of the inside..

I could probably still put a bulb in the middle with it in there but I would rather find a way to do it in so I am not having to clean it off every day.. yes it would be a pain but I could live with it if I have to.

Steve

Delphinus
12-18-2002, 06:06 AM
I can't offer any ideas, only thing I can think of to say is "Man you are nuts, that's just Stir Crazy."

Honestly, if the center brace is that offensive to you, wouldn't it just be easier to order a new custom tank and tell the builder "oh and BTW there must be no center brace." ??

I'm having myself nightmares just thinking about removing a brace on a fully stocked tank. BUT ... it's your tank ....

good luck...

StirCrazy
12-18-2002, 06:08 AM
hehe, but I will not remove it with out the new brace being in place first.. other wise that would be nuts LOL

technicaly all I should need is something against the outside that would hold the top and prevent it from bowing.. not that hard when you think about it as my tank sites inside a steal frame..

Steve

Canadian Man
12-18-2002, 06:11 AM
um my brace is clear glass.. and my tank is only 3 foot so I don't think it would bow a whole inch :shock: your lucky that didn't brake.

Steve

Yea I know that's why I didnt sleep much. It was quite a scarry crack when made the final snip on the brace and watching the tank shake like a balloon :shock:

Anyway, sorry, I did not know that you had a glass center brace now.

MitchM
12-18-2002, 01:13 PM
It was quite a scarry crack when made the final snip on the brace and watching the tank shake like a balloon :shock:

:shock:

Mitch

rossb
12-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Steve I have been thinking about this and I like the idea. Naturally the center brace prevents the tank from bowing out. An external brace would also work but why not a glass internal brace? You could drain the tank down about a foot or so, use some wood clamps to temporarily replace the internal brace, cut out the center brace and then add a 1/2" X 2" X 6' (or so) glass brace inside on each of the two long sides. If they were siliconed in properly it would work quite well...
and then no rusting ... or wet wood ...
IMO

ldzielak
12-18-2002, 03:58 PM
Steve have you seen some of the new Hagen tanks, with 2 metal center braces? You could go this way, and have minimal light blockage? I think the hagens looked like crap, but it would seem like the safe way to do this.

PS You are causing many of us nightmares, please make it stop :roll:

Delphinus
12-18-2002, 04:07 PM
I don't understand what's so offensive about a center brace anyways espescially if it's glass?

Why not just order a new tank and use 1/2" glass instead of 3/8"? You shouldn't need a brace of any kind in that case (yes the tank will be somewhat heavier ... my 75g is 1/2" glass .... thing weighs a ton and a half).

Just promise me you have contingencies planned, like spare tanks on hand, because sooner or later you just know you're going to find yourself staring at the spot your tank used to be, while standing in 2" of water, and listening to the sound of fish flip-flopping helplessly on your living room floor ... all because you couldn't live with leaving something well enough alone. To each their own!

PS. Just think how much work a new tank would be! It would certainly help stave off that ever present "boredom" you keep complaining about...

PPS. What's so boring about just enjoying your tank anyways? Tell you what: set up more tanks ... that's the ticket I think you're looking for. I haven't been "bored" in 5 years. In fact .... the day I get "bored" just looking at my tanks, and enjoying the company of the animals under my care .... is the day I get out of the hobby.

StirCrazy
12-19-2002, 12:05 AM
LOL, I never siad it was ofencive and I am not doign this cuz I am board. (that is reserved for building eatra gagets for the system not for redesigning hehe ). ok let me try explain the pic here :lol:

my tank is 3 foot long and 2 feet wide, the brace is 1/2" glass and is ~9" wide.. I am thinking of putting a radium inbetween my 250 watt AB's and I was thinking I would get better results if I didn't have the center brace..
I know it will still work with it but if I can re brace it with out any problems I could kill the shadow effect of the glass (not much but noticable) and also get it out of the way for when I am working on the tank, what I have now is abouyt 1" of space on each side for manuvering things around.. not impossable but a pain..

Yes I should have not cheeped out when I orderec the tank and I should have spent the extra 120.00 to have it made out of 1/2" but the fact remains I didn't :roll:

as for a getting a new tank and moving them.. hmm if I could get a guarenteed sale of this one I befor I order the new one I would probably think about it, but other wise it isn't a option either...

as for another tank.. I don't have permission to do that untill I either build a addition to the house or buy a bigger house.. then I have free reign for a big tank built in the wall :lol:

rossb, I don't like euro bracing on the inside of a tank... it makes it harder to clean and gets in the way for power heads and such.. but if it would work being on the outside that might be a option also..

Lee, no I haven't do you have a link to them? I was thinking of making some clips and using aircraft wire to tension them.. we fixed a buddies tank like this when it broke...

Steve

rossb
12-19-2002, 04:32 AM
rossb, I don't like euro bracing on the inside of a tank...

Dang those euro's. Here I am thinking and thinking...and those guys already thought of it.

Ok how about this...go with the glass on the outside (like you were thinking)...and then use ABS pipe??

StirCrazy
12-19-2002, 04:51 AM
Ok how about this...go with the glass on the outside (like you were thinking)...and then use ABS pipe??

hmm I am almost scared to ask... but what is the ABS pipe for? :shock:

Steve

Delphinus
12-19-2002, 05:51 AM
I think it was a jab at me .... Touché.... point taken. :) I'll stop enforcing my view of "whatever can go wrong will go wrong" .... just call me Murphy... :roll: 8)

rossb
12-19-2002, 01:56 PM
Tony I would never take a jab at anyone...especially in public!!! :D The ABS is a reference to another thread...and is apparently a sad attempt at humor :)

clintyiu
12-20-2002, 07:09 AM
Steve,

How high is your tank? My DIY tank has 3/8" glass and is 40" long with 17" of water in it. The top centre bows 1/16". So if your tank isn't too much higher then don't worry about the glass.

I have another diy tank that is 36" long with 1/4" glass and 18" of water and the centre bows about 1/8". I saw bubbles form in the joint and reinforced the ends instead of the centre and the tank's been holding water for the last 5 years.

My 90 gal is 5' long with 1/2" glass and it bows a little more than 1/16" when filled to 1" from the top. With 3/8" glass it should bow about 2.5 times more than my tank IE a little over than 1/8". I'd like to see a picture of that 1" bow. :roll:

StirCrazy
12-20-2002, 01:11 PM
the tank is 24" tall.. hmmm interesting.. I wonder what effect the extra 6" of hight would have.

Steve