PDA

View Full Version : Calgary LFS

PFisher
12-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Over the holidays I will be visiting family and will be in Calgary for a few days. While I am there I would like to see what your town has to offer in the way of saltwater. What are some of the better marine stores down there, and where are they? Thanks.

TANGOMAN
12-17-2002, 02:46 PM
I've only been keeping marine tanks for about twenty years and I've lived in this town all my life...I'm still not quite sure what the "better" store is. :roll: Big Als does have a "boxing week" sale (only 10% in the past few years). Years ago they offered awesome savings but that was then and this is now... They're in the south end of Calgary. Macleod Tr. & Heritage Dr.
Pisce's,Wai's, and is it Ocean Front Aquariums? are all on the "north" end and worth a visit...
Perhaps you can add to the possibility of controversy here Bob?... :wink:
Can ya' bring snow for Christmas???

Bob I
12-17-2002, 07:42 PM
Perhaps you can add to the possibility of controversy here Bob?... :wink:

I cannot add anything to the controversy, but when you ask about "better", you need a frame of reference. In other words something to compare to. At any given time any one of the above mentioned stores is as good, or as bad as the other. It is a timing thing, and it depends on what you are looking for. If it is high priced, but good quality corals, Wai's is the place. If it is fish that may survive, timing is the thing. I have bought excellent fish at Pisces. I have bought fish at Wai's that survived, others died within the week. So that is a crapshoot. :? :?

MitchM
12-17-2002, 09:17 PM
Wai's Aquarium
Bay 4 222 16th ave. n.e.

Big Al's
8228 Macleod Trail, s.e.

Pisces pet Emporium
#10 5220 4th st. n.e.

Riverfront Aquariums
417 Riverfront Ave. s.e.
(not great marine, but the largest FW fish collection I have ever seen!)

Mitch 8)

PFisher
12-17-2002, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replys. As for the controversy, based on a few threads that I have read in the past I think that I will steer clear of that as much as possible.

EmilyB
12-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Also:

Ocean Aquarium
6 2610 Centre Street NE

AJ_77
12-17-2002, 09:48 PM
GOLD AQUARIUMS
BAY J, 4710 17 AVENUE SE
CLOSED THURSDAYS
273-5567
--------------------------------------------------------------
OCEAN AQUARIUMS
OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
BAY #6, 2610 CENTRE ST. NE
277-7207

These are both ads from the Bargain Finder, and I think both are hit and miss. I haven't been to Gold, but Ocean has hundreds of glass anemones on display! And some corals usually - you can drop in on your way from Pisces to Wai's.
Good luck! :D

AJ_77
12-17-2002, 09:49 PM
Well there you go, a double post must amount to an endorsement!Also:

Ocean Aquarium
6 2610 Centre Street NE

MitchM
12-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Do we dare put a rating system on the stores?...........

:lol:

:shock:

Mitch :wink:

AJ_77
12-17-2002, 09:53 PM

That is a HECK of an idea, but who would collaborate the data?

:P

MitchM
12-17-2002, 09:55 PM
I know a good lawyer......

Mitch

AJ_77
12-17-2002, 10:06 PM
I suppose that would be a first step...
You think there would be a problem with sharing our "impressions" of our "experiences" with the various retailers?

:?

On a scale of 1 to 10?

MitchM
12-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Probably....... :P

j/k

EmilyB
12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
but Ocean has hundreds of glass anemones on display! And some corals usually - you can drop in on your way from Pisces to Wai's.
:D

Barry and I dropped in and all the aiptasia were gone....I was going to show him the turbos......wearing the aiptasia.... :lol:

Anyway the store looked really good, sure come a long way from the first time I went there.

EmilyB
12-17-2002, 10:27 PM
I suppose that would be a first step...
You think there would be a problem with sharing our "impressions" of our "experiences" with the various retailers?

:?

On a scale of 1 to 10?

Only if you give Wais a bad rating. Otherwise you should be good to go !! :P

Bob I
12-17-2002, 10:37 PM

:lol:

:shock:

We could give all the stores a "Not Recommended by the Calgary Reefing Club" rating. That would show our impartiality :P :shock: :wink: :roll:

Seriak
12-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Why don't we just get to it and start the rating! However, I must admit that I don't mind Wai's except for the prices.

Usually healthy and usually in stock!

Bob I
12-20-2002, 01:37 AM
Why don't we just get to it and start the rating! However, I must admit that I don't mind Wai's except for the prices.

Usually healthy and usually in stock!

Yes and dead in a week. Come on guys, ratings would be strictly a listing of opinions. You would never in a thousand years get anything close to impartial. Forget it, if you like the store, go there. If you don't like it avoid it like the plague like I will do with Wai's.

EmilyB
12-20-2002, 03:25 AM
You can rate your online supplier easy enough....here
(http://reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7862&highlight=rate+supplier)

Only in the USA you say...... :lol: 8)

Seriak
12-20-2002, 02:27 PM
I guess its all experience then. I have only ever had a cleaner shrimp die on me. Oh and a clownfish that decided to take a trip to the sump and never did recover after that. I guess only time will tell.

However, I have decided to stop all my horny purchases and stick to large orders through MO. I just have to keep saying to myself "I don't need it now! I don't need it now!"

Chris

Bob I
12-21-2002, 10:09 PM
horny purchases and stick to large orders through MO. :?: :?: :?: :?: :twisted: