PDA

View Full Version : Is it a bad idea to put a saltwater fish tank right next to a window?

Carrera75
06-05-2007, 04:50 AM
I am about to set up a 20 gallon long and I wonder If it is ok to place it infront of a window. I know putting a FW tank right next to a window is not a good idea but am not sure if it is the same for SW tanks.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Zylumn
06-05-2007, 05:00 AM
temp swings and algae(not as big a prob)

Carrera75
06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
I am not worried aboyt temperature swings, what I am worried about is getting tons of algae. I know putting a FW tank right next to a window is not a good idea as algae would grow like crazy. But am not sure if Saltwater tanks have the same problem.

marie
06-05-2007, 05:11 AM
I am not worried aboyt temperature swings, what I am worried about is getting tons of algae. I know putting a FW tank right next to a window is not a good idea as algae would grow like crazy. But am not sure if Saltwater tanks have the same problem.

Well they could have the same problem, are you looking to set up a reef tank or a fish only tank? If it's a reef tank then you need to keep nutrients down as much as you can anyway and the extra light from the sun is actually beneficial. If it's a fish only tank with fancy filters and heavy bioloads then the nutrients may be higher and then algae will become a problem.
Heat would still be the biggest concern especially in a smaller tank

Carrera75
06-05-2007, 05:20 AM
Well they could have the same problem, are you looking to set up a reef tank or a fish only tank? If it's a reef tank then you need to keep nutrients down as much as you can anyway and the extra light from the sun is actually beneficial. If it's a fish only tank with fancy filters and heavy bioloads then the nutrients may be higher and then algae will become a problem.
Heat would still be the biggest concern especially in a smaller tank

Thanks for your fast response!
It is going to be a reef tank with a couple of fish and invertebrates. I currently have a 29 gallon tank that's close to the window. I noticed that when I opened the blinds during the last few days that were sunny and the sun shone into the tank, the corals actually looked bigger and happier.

I am in the process of setting up a 20 gallon long and I would like to put it in my office infront of a window. I know that Anthony(Seahorsefanatic) has a reef tank infront of a window and the tank seems to be doing well.

cheers

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Yes, but the frag tank has a backing to block out most of the sunlight. I tried an experiment to give the corals a bit more natural light, but it grew the bad algae faster so I now have a reflective white backing to block out sunlight.

Carrera75
06-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Yes, but the frag tank has a backing to block out most of the sunlight. I tried an experiment to give the corals a bit more natural light, but it grew the bad algae faster so I now have a reflective white backing to block out sunlight.

The tank is going to have a blue plastic background and tin foil on the back to block most of the sunlight. I am going to give it a try and if it does not work I can always move to a different area.

Carrera75
06-05-2007, 06:04 AM

The tank is going to have a blue plastic background and tin foil on the back to block most of the sunlight. I am going to give it a try and if it does not work I can always move to a different area.

justinl
06-05-2007, 06:45 AM
I have my 60gal FOWLR very a large window. it has no backing. in short, yes algae does become a problem with all the sunlight although temperature swings have not been a problem for me.

I would definitely have a heavy curtain on the window. that way, if you want to cut the lights for a few days to kill off algae, you can do it without sunlight mucking up your plans.