PDA

View Full Version : Frogspawn?!

fortheloveofcrabs
06-04-2007, 04:02 AM
Hi All,

Okay, so I've had this frogspawn for just over a year. It's been well extended ever since I got it. Aside from the day I bought it, I don’t think I’ve even seen it shriveled. Two days ago, I did a 10% water change – the same way I always do. Anyways, it shriveled up later that day, now 40% of the tissue is gone!!! The other LPS corals (trumpet, brain, bubble), fish and softies are all fine. Any suggestions? Do another water change? Carbon?

HELP!!

-Pauli

fortheloveofcrabs
06-04-2007, 10:32 PM
It sounds like it's RTN - Rapid Tissue Necrosis... Any one have ANY experience?!

I don't have a QT tank, but I do have a nano reef. No LPS, just an anenome and softies in there. Are they safe from RTN?!! Can I use it as a QT tank?

PLEASE HELP!

kwirky
06-04-2007, 11:12 PM
RTN (rapdi tissue necrosis) is a symptom, not a disease. It's not "contagious" per se. It's caused by an assortment of things. ie: increased light, new environments, heavy water changes, etc.

If it is RTN, it could have been caused by a large assortment of things. was it exposed to air during your water change?

I would recommend moving it to an area with slightly higher flow and a little less light. Make sure it's in enough flow to lightly flutter the polyps, but not blast it.

you could try feeding it frozen mysis daily to try to nurse it to health. it's probably lost lots of it's symbiotic algae so the frozen mysis will help it sustain health while it has no algae to harvest.

also if you've been keeping a log on your water parameters, maybe test it to see if anything's changed major in the water change

fortheloveofcrabs
06-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi, no major pram sings. In fact, the tank has been the most stable it's ever been. The coral was not exposed to air during the water change; it's too deep in the tank. The only thing I can think of is stress…

My tank hit the high 80’s last week. (I hadn’t fired up the chiller yet).

Thank you so much for you suggestions. I’m on it right now.

-Pauli

Quagmire
06-04-2007, 11:27 PM
My tank hit the high 80’s last week. (I hadn’t fired up the chiller yet).

-Pauli
I would have to guess that this is the problem.I lost a hammer last year due to high temp.It seems that although hammers/frogs are generally tough,they don't do well in high temps.