PDA

View Full Version : GSP's not opening anymore :(

Nixon
06-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, I don't know if this is a common thing, but my GSP's aren't opening anymore. The only major change I've made recently is adding a hammer coral. I just did my water change in hopes that if the hammer did relase some kind of "toxins" into the water it'd clear up. But I've had no such luck. If you guys got any suggestions, that would help a lot! Thanks!

Water's at:

Nitrate: 2ppm
Salinity: 1.024
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Temp: about 79-80 degrees

niloc16
06-03-2007, 08:32 PM
gsp is pretty notorious for closing up for 3-4 days. mine does after i take it out and frag it. i wouldnt worry too much. give it a week and see what happens. gsp's are like cockroaches

Snappy
06-03-2007, 10:00 PM
They sometimes close up if your alk is too high or too low.

Moogled
06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Mine close up for a day or two once in a while.

I learned not to worry because as niloc said, GSP is indestructible and spreads like weed.

Nixon
06-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Haha ok. I've just never really seen it close up much. It usually closes for about 30 mins right when the light shuts off but it opens back up even under my moon lights. Just thought it was weird to see it close like that. Thanks for the help guys. Didn't mean to panic so quickly ;)

danny zubot
06-04-2007, 07:28 PM
GSP is indestructible and spreads like weed.

Normally I'd agree with that statement, but mine are dying. Some of the polyps open up in the colonies while others are literally melting away. Its a really old colony, I wonder if they have a "shelf life"?

ponokareefer
06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
For whatever reason, I have never been able to keep GSP. They always wither away and die quite quickly. All other livestock is doing great, but not them.

krish
06-04-2007, 08:35 PM
After my experience with gsp I'd say never give up on it. Mine sat like this for about a month:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/hillkd/Fish/sick2.jpg

then I moved it to a higher location and got it out of the flow and now it's flourishing.

danny zubot
06-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Ya, mine looks a bit like that one, with algae growing on it. I have moved it up into a brighter higher flow area recently. So we'll see if it picks up.

Nixon
06-04-2007, 11:05 PM
wait so does GSP like high flow or low flow? high light or low light? mine's kind of stabbed in the sand (away from rock to prevent GSP explosion) in the bottom corner. my tank's only 12" high and i'm running 80W of light.