PDA

View Full Version : Calcium level in IO salt

argileh
06-02-2007, 03:44 AM
Yesterday I mixed a fresh batch of Instant Ocean salt with RO water, at SG of 1.0255. I just measured the calcium level (Salifert) and it's at 370ppm. Is this normal for IO

marie
06-02-2007, 03:49 AM
yep, I get readings anywhere from 360 to 380 :biggrin:

Reefer Rob
06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Everything in IO salt is low. I only test for Ca KH and Mg but I'm assuming all the other elements are out as well. Use Tropic Marin Pro Reef and everything will be right on straight out of the bucket. Of course who knows if any of this matters, lots of people keep great tanks with IO salt.

ron101
06-03-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm guessing that the salt manufacturers have to allow for people mixing their salt with tap or well water (instead of RO/DI) that already contains some amounts of calcium and carbonates. If they didn't do this there would be the potential for CaCO3 precipitating out due to excessive Ca and CO3 and then ruining the SW.

Since most of the water in the GVRD is super soft I think most salt mixes are going to come up somewhat sort in Ca and KH levels.

littlesilvermax
06-04-2007, 03:58 AM
I'm guessing that the salt manufacturers have to allow for people mixing their salt with tap or well water (instead of RO/DI) that already contains some amounts of calcium and carbonates. If they didn't do this there would be the potential for CaCO3 precipitating out due to excessive Ca and CO3 and then ruining the SW.

Since most of the water in the GVRD is super soft I think most salt mixes are going to come up somewhat sort in Ca and KH levels.

Correct.

I use IO and add the calcium and magnesium to the mix (alk is good out of the pail). This adds about $2 to the cost of a bucket.