PDA

View Full Version : new tank setup

kris
01-15-2002, 04:02 AM
hey all. well here it gose i will be moving in a few mounths it looks like. and i would like to set up a new tank there, i was thinking of mabey a 150 - 250 reef. Id like to know what you all recomend as a setup for what size of tank. I want to do a DSB with LR. So really the things id like to be recomended on is tank mesurments, lighting, what sand, sump, skimmer, ect. also where to buy all this stuff. i was thinking of going with a costum buit tank and sump. well what do you think?

Troy F
01-15-2002, 08:26 PM
Hi Kris, the world is your oyster if you are going custom. Do you want glass or plastic?

There is quite a buzz about an Alberta based company called Inter-American (glass). They build custom tanks that are gorgeous but there are some reports of poor customer relations and missing delivery dates by substantial amounts of time. J&L Aquatics can give you a quote on both glass and acrylic tanks made to your specs.

As far as what size to go, the only limitation is money. If I were going custom, my dream would be an 8'L x 36"W x 30"H for a total of ~450gal . If you are a planning a reef and are going with custom dimensions give the front to back size some consideration.

All of your questions depend on variables such as what size you really want, what you want to keep and what your budget is. Have a look at www.jlaquatics.com (http://www.jlaquatics.com) . They have all their pricing listed so you can do a quick cost projection.

kris
01-16-2002, 06:44 PM
well i was thinking of going acrylic. the only really bad thing i have heard about them is that they are easy to scratch. As for size, im not to sure, id like it to be a bit deeper then the norm, and aslo to be almost square. and for it the gallons i think 180 should do just nicely.

DJ88
01-16-2002, 06:57 PM
For tank size, the world is your oyster(As quoted by someone.. not sure who images/smiles/icon_wink.gif).. that is for sure.. my one recommendation is to go at least 24" front to back .It gives you a LOT of space to play with. As for depth I'd start at 24 and go from there. Make it say 24 deep 24 wide then you can figure the rest from there for a 180. images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I think it woudl be about a six foot tank for that. Don't quote me but I think I am close off of the top of my head.

With a tank that deep you can go two ways. 250W or 400W MH. With actinic supplementaion if you use Iwasaki 6500K(higher PAR). If I had my way I'd go 400W Iwasakis. One every two feet. So three.

I can't speak from which is better or worse with acrylic or glass tanks as all I have had is glass. You will have to find someone who currently has acrylic or has had one.

StirCrazy
01-16-2002, 08:51 PM
your right on the money Darren, my 90 is 3'x2'x2'

Steve

kris
01-18-2002, 04:21 AM
ok thanks all, i will figure 6x2x2 will be nice, i might go deeper then that. just so i can do some crazy aquascaping. no for the sumps and skimmers and water movment. <its not that i do not know what im doing, this is my first larg reef, i want to do it better then just good enough>

Shadetree
01-19-2002, 03:38 AM
Kris,

A 180 is the 6'x2'x2'. For extra height I would suggest no higher than 32-34". I have 33" and it can be a real pain reaching parts of the tank and I am even usine a 6" DSB. My tank is the same footprint as the 180 but has the taller height and it works out to 245 gallons.

Scott

kris
01-20-2002, 06:47 AM
well i went to the lfs and they had a 120 it was 48 x 24 x 24. i think i will be content with that for now, but i need to kno what size sump. I have a 33 i could use would that be big enough? Also i think i an going to go with MH and PC for my lighting.