PDA

View Full Version : not as full as I thought

Snappy
05-31-2007, 04:53 AM
Wow after seeing this tank I have decided mine still has lots of room:wink:
http://www.reefitaliascience.it/magazine/2007-2/vascamese.html

BMW Rider
05-31-2007, 03:42 PM
Man, I have nothing in my tank compared to that.

GrimReefer
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
gorgeous tank.

Delphinus
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
Ok apparently I have not had enough :morning: yet today as I'm about to make another grouchy-like post in response to something that's supposed to be nice..

It's a very nice tank, but what is WITH these tanks that are so packed with corals that the only spots left for clams is in the sandbed in a nice little row up in front? It looks so contrived to me. Might as well put up some picket fences while we're at it! :razz:

Can't fault the setup for growing nice coloured corals, it's awesome. I just wish people with tanks like these would do a better job at recreating a more natural looking aquascape.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
It is pretty amazing! But I agree with Tony. It looks to me like a garden. A very nice garden....but a garden nonetheless. I suppose that's the look some people enjoy, and that's great for them.

Edit/Side note: Greg, I think yours looks more natural. :)

Snappy
06-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Even with my clams on the sandbed????:razz:

Delphinus
06-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Well .. at least they're not in a perfect uniform row. :p I thought you also had one or two up higher in the rock. :)

Snappy
06-01-2007, 01:49 PM
So Tony what corals should I take out to make room for the clams?:wink: Usually when I put them up high they jump off.

wickedfrags
06-01-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree nice tank- but I think it would benefit from some different shaped corals, especially stags.

It is pretty amazing! But I agree with Tony. It looks to me like a garden. A very nice garden....but a garden nonetheless. I suppose that's the look some people enjoy, and that's great for them.

hawk
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Ok apparently I have not had enough :morning: yet today as I'm about to make another grouchy-like post in response to something that's supposed to be nice..

It's a very nice tank, but what is WITH these tanks that are so packed with corals that the only spots left for clams is in the sandbed in a nice little row up in front? It looks so contrived to me. Might as well put up some picket fences while we're at it! :razz:

Can't fault the setup for growing nice coloured corals, it's awesome. I just wish people with tanks like these would do a better job at recreating a more natural looking aquascape.

I couldn't agree more, you definitely need more coffee.
As for the tank it looks pretty nice to me.

Delphinus
06-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Didn't say it wasn't nice, but it is definitely a contrived looking tank. It's not just the clams, it's the fact that everything is so uniformly sized and spaced. It doesn't look like a real reef to me. Sorry (AND I'm not even grouchy as I type this :p More coffee won't change my opinion.)

Der_Iron_Chef
06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
He he. Different strokes for different folks? I'm sure many would criticize my tank, but hey.....we all do what makes us happy.

As for the clams cliff diving....can you capture that on film? :wink:

Delphinus
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Really? My tanks make me totally unhappy. Your tanks make you happy? Wow, you're weird. :p :lol:

No seriously, just compared to other nice tanks (and I'm even referring to Canreefers tanks, those who put a little thought/design effort into aquascaping), all it has is splashy colour. Never once did say the colours weren't impressive (I'll give credit where credit is due, and: "wow to that" .. but .. just ..), the overall package isn't.

Guess I've been in the hobby long enough to get a little opinionated as to what makes a nice tank. If a tank looks like a guy just went out and dropped 5k on a whole bunch of Bali aquaculture at once, .. that's going to impress me less than someone who looked at his glass box as a canvas and took a little flair and imagination to the aquascaping.

I should add that I make no claims that I'm some kind of aquascaping genius. I apply the same criticism to my own tanks. :redface:

As for the clams.. the thing is, they do like to move around a *little*. So perched on a cliff side odds are good they'll fall off sooner or later. If you look at how clams are in the real reef, they're usually so buried into rockwork that all you see is the mantle extending, and it almost looks like a nudibranch crawling on the rock (until it pulls in if startled).

That's not really practical to replicate in most tanks though. I try to make a sort of "bowl" like impression in the reef for my clams. The two exceptions right now are my squamosa which is too large to fit on the reef and my derasa (which I just didn't have a good spot for). Some clams are found on the bottom but croceas and maximas in particular seem to me are found near the tops of reefs.

Just my $0.02. :) Flame on...

Bartman
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
That is definately a lot of stuff for a 125G tank! BTW, I am also not a fan of the "fruit salad" look but there are many styles of "art" that get put on canvass and they aren't all everyone's taste.....

MoeReefer
06-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I give the guy props for having such a healthy coral collony, and I'm sure his fish are happy too as long as they have suficiant hiding and are fed well.
But I also am a huge fan of the natural looking reef tank. But one must also consider the naturality of any reef tank; as I am sure many people have corals and fish in their tank which can be found all over the world, but not in all parts of the world. What I am trying to say is most of us have corals and fish living together which may never see each other in nature. Props to all who can keep a healthy, happy, vibrant reef going.
cheers

hawk
06-02-2007, 12:06 AM
If he did just drop 5k on colour that is one thing, but if this is a mature tank and colour/growth have been maintained for any length of time, that alone is impressive to me. I'm guessing aquascaping is secondary to colour, growth and the collection in general for this reefer. Growing sps like that is the hard part, lucky for him re-aquascaping can be done over a weekend. Having said that, overall I think the tank is pretty nice as is, but with a little more thought put into the aquascaping it would be at the next level for those who like sps tanks.

Delphinus
06-02-2007, 03:54 AM
I'd be very interested to see where this tank is in 5 years.. It just has no .. spark or character to it.

I dunno, guess I'm not entitled to an opinion. :(

marie
06-02-2007, 04:18 AM
I'd be very interested to see where this tank is in 5 years.. It just has no .. spark or character to it.

That's why I haven't posted in this thread :lol:

*edit* I don't mean that I think your not entitled to an opinion, just that I have the same opinion you do but I knew I would be in the minority

hawk
06-02-2007, 04:22 AM

I don't get it, I thought that is all anyone was doing. One day i'll figure out how to use smilies.

EmilyB
06-02-2007, 05:47 AM
I thought it looked like a for sale tank in a premium LFS. :lol:

untamed
06-02-2007, 06:16 AM
This is the exact opposite of how my tanks are. It does look very nice, however...kind of like a beautiful painting, but better.

A still photo contributes to that look. If you saw that tank in person, there might be more movement and things going on than you might think.

Delphinus
06-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Fair enough. I have to say if all these corals were grown from frags out to the size they are today, then that is indeed a notable accomplishment, especially considering that none of them appear to have that typical necrosis on the bottom that you sometimes see as a result of the top of a coral shading the bottom, and blocking flow currents, and so on. ..

I just thought I'd share a counterpoint to the usual "oohs" and "ahhs". It's an awfully full tank and I think it's just a little too full looking for my taste.

But the corals are in amazing condition and the colours are amazing, I do give the guy props for his accomplishments.

He just needs a bigger tank and he needs to do SteveWeastify/Superfudgify his aquascaping and then I'll agree that it may be the nicest tank I've ever seen :p

Sorry I got a little down, I felt a little picked upon about my dissenting opinion. I realize we're just chatting, it's all cool.

Moogled
06-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I totally get where Tony is coming from.

You can have a Bimmer M3 with minor modifications or you can have one decked out in edgy looking bodykits, spoilers, and other misc accessories so that it no longer looks like an M3.

The corals look superb but as a gestalt, the tank doesn't look natural .

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-03/totm/index.php

VS

http://www.reefitaliascience.it/magazine/2007-2/images/romano-21-thumb.jpg

EmilyB
06-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Superfluous.
:smile:

Snappy
06-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Holy doodle! I never expected this thread to turn into a debate fest, but it is definately more entertaining this way:wink:
I know my tank is pretty crowded, and obviously not to a lot of people's tastes, however after seeing this Italian tank I felt like mine wasn't nearly as crowded as I thought it was. It isn't the most creative aquascaping(neither is mine)and not necessarily to my taste either but was simply posted as an example of a very crowded tank. :biggrin:
I have quite enjoyed all the banter though. I guess one thing to keep in mind though, is we build our own reef to our own taste as much as possible, so as long as we are all reasonably happy with what we've done that is what really matters. I don't think many people get into this hobby with the thought of building a reef to please everybody else.:mrgreen: If it so happens that others like what we've accomplished that's nice a bonus, but we'll never please everybody.