PDA

View Full Version : Question about how to tap into return line

trilinearmipmap
05-31-2007, 02:07 AM
OK I have my calcium reactor running off a powerhead but I would rather cut down on the electric cords and tap into my return line instead.

As I have read it, you add a tee into your return line, cap off the T, drill a hole in the end cap of the T, tap the T with a metal thing that makes the spiral groove, and insert a NPT John Guest speedfit piece into the hole you made.

I am not a big fan of buying a tool (the plumbing tap thing) that is only used once in my life. Is there a simpler way to do this?

Also do you need to use the PVC T and tap the end cap, or can you just tap into the wall of the return pipe?

I was also thinking of dumping the effluent pipe from my calcium reactor into my skimmer by tapping another hole and adding a speedfit connection. Besides blowing off CO2 and raising pH, is there any other advantage to doing this?

mark
05-31-2007, 02:27 AM
I just threaded (using a tap) a JG fitting into a coupler on my return line (thicker than just the pipe), no tee added. Forget as had the tap a while but don't remember it being pricy.

For flow control have one of those little JG 1/4 valves between the tap point and reactor. First had the valve on the effluent line but the pressure caused leaking past the o-ring on the reactor lid. As it is now, I can set the drip rate and it stays fairly constant seems for weeks before needing adjustment. From reading, sounds like the Aquaifter pumps are the way to go though.

Might be a myth but read dumping effluent into skimmer causes a drop in pH (because of aeration) causing Ca to precipitate out.

Skimmerking
05-31-2007, 03:36 AM
buy a tee and reduce it down from 1" to 1/2" to 1/4" and there you have it done one cut and your good to go

trilinearmipmap
05-31-2007, 04:31 AM
Excellent idea.

How do you fit the John Guest fitting into the 1/4" end of the tee, can you just use pvc cement or do you need a 1/4" female taper piece and then a male tapered John Guest fitting?