PDA

View Full Version : When $ is no object...17000 gal tank complete with house

Snappy
05-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Anybody else seen this? Wow, I will need to sell a lot more frags so I can save up for mine. Come on people, help me out here!!:lol::razz::lol:

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90861

justinl
05-30-2007, 11:25 PM
holy crap on a stick! that guy must be loaded! cant wait to see that thing stocked.

fortheloveofcrabs
05-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, it's certainly not as impressive as my 55 gal, but I guess it's alright. I mean what kind of amateur reefer NEEDS *2* 3000 gallon sumps. I mean really!

So… refurbishing medical equipment, eh?

CLINT
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Next house is having 1 of those thats so sweet.Guess I could run my tugboat in my tank.LOL.Clint

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-30-2007, 11:56 PM
Hope he doesn't get the same high humidity problem that caused another giant tank to get shut down after only a few months.

That thing is MASSSIIIIIVVVVVEEEE!!!!!!

BTW, I think Fred is an Elongate tang (A.mata), one of my fav. fish.:biggrin: I have a baby one now in my 220g reef, but I'm not planning to build him a new tank/home like that crazy reefer.

Anthony

Der_Iron_Chef
05-31-2007, 01:05 AM
Idea. If we all quit our jobs, join forces and money, we can build something like this! Umm. Well, it sounded good at the time.

argileh
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Even Bill Gates can't afford this

Joe Reefer
05-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Deadly Tank!!! but how many exotic cars does one dude need?

marie
05-31-2007, 01:57 AM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy beach front property in fiji?

GrimReefer
05-31-2007, 02:06 AM
i'm not impressed or envious. just imagine the maintenance. i'll stick to my 30 gallon. :P

Der_Iron_Chef
05-31-2007, 02:09 AM
Something tells me this guy can pay to have the maintenance done!

Chowder
05-31-2007, 02:22 AM
In my next life I plan on being that rich but for now I will continue to pay off my debt and the debt I like to get myself into because of my tank.

Moogled
05-31-2007, 02:45 AM
Are there ANY tanks of this caliber out there that are impressive in terms of the art that is reefkeeping?

I have yet to see one. It's like having a enormous undecorated room as opposed to a decent sized room adorned tastefully.

GrimReefer
05-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Are there ANY tanks of this caliber out there that are impressive in terms of the art that is reefkeeping?

I have yet to see one. It's like having a enormous undecorated room as opposed to a decent sized room adorned tastefully.

exactly. and what fun is it if you have to hire people to do the maintenance? it's just a luxury for some rich fool, rather than somebody's artwork.

Snappy
05-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Have you seen the latest "Coral" magazine? The "20,000 gallons of liquid passion" looks pretty nice to me. I agree that it will be a major undertaking to stock that tank to what many of us would want but I think he can likely afford to make it what ever he wants it to be. For example, I know my tank isn't to everyones taste, along with the reverse of that being true, however we do what we do because we like it. Who knows, maybe he keeps a nano on his office desk too.:wink: Personally, I would love to have a tank I could dive in while I paid somebody else to maintain it.:mrgreen:

DanG
05-31-2007, 03:32 AM
Screw him and his 17,000 gallon tank, I'm going to start building a 17,001 gallon tank tomorrow after I get my 6/49 jackpot cheque. 30 mil should cover it, right?

Skimmer Juice
05-31-2007, 03:33 AM
It is a really cool idea. If I had no job I would not mind maintaining it. Besides the sand, I would think that would be to hard to maintain, I go bare bottom. I just got a 400 gallon of last light I thought that was huge! It will be cool to see what it looks like when he has the glass setup and some water in it. Thanks SNAPPY for showing me that thread.

Moogled
05-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Have you seen the latest "Coral" magazine? The "20,000 gallons of liquid passion" looks pretty nice to me. I agree that it will be a major undertaking to stock that tank to what many of us would want but I think he can likely afford to make it what ever he wants it to be. For example, I know my tank isn't to everyones taste, along with the reverse of that being true, however we do what we do because we like it. Who knows, maybe he keeps a nano on his office desk too.:wink: Personally, I would love to have a tank I could dive in while I paid somebody else to maintain it.:mrgreen:

Link me up to pictures of this 20,000g tank! :D

The reason I mention the appearance is because it seems the owners of tanks these sizes normally put more emphasis on quantity rather than quality.

I'm sure the scale is immensely difficult to duplicate but I find it hard to appreciate a tank when it's just several rocks and murky water.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952

Johnny Reefer
05-31-2007, 04:20 AM
....it seems the owners of tanks these sizes normally put more emphasis on quantity rather than quality. ....
Yes. Hence the overabundance of construction pictures. Little boys with big toys. When people go to the Vancouver Aquarium, (or any public aquarium for that matter), are they interested in how the place was made, or what's inside?

Cheers,

Snappy
05-31-2007, 05:14 AM
Link me up to pictures of this 20,000g tank! :D

The reason I mention the appearance is because it seems the owners of tanks these sizes normally put more emphasis on quantity rather than quality.

I'm sure the scale is immensely difficult to duplicate but I find it hard to appreciate a tank when it's just several rocks and murky water.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952
Coral magazine is a printed publication and I am not familiar with their website or if they even have one. Here is a picture of part of the 20000 gal tank. It is actually a public aquarium in New York called Atlantis Marine World but it looks spectacular from the magazine pics and I guess my point is that this guy could certainly afford to stock his in a similar manner.
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/exhibit-coralreef-2.jpg

Personally I am often disappointed with the coral & reef displays in public aquariums but this one is very nice.:biggrin:

Delphinus
05-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Meh, it's impressive but this is more about doing it because he can, and not because of a real love of the subject matter. Seeing that house and his cars, he probably already has a villa on an island somewhere anyhow.

If you want a reef tank you can dive in, why not just call it a "stocked swimming pool". Actually this idea is being tried somewhere, I forget where, is it Chicago? Some organization wants to make an indoor coral reef diving centre. It's an interesting challenge but honestly the decadence of it does make me a little uncomfortable given the current situation of coral reef depletion, we should be focusing more effort on conservation rather than "well I'll just take my own piece of the reef and take it home." :(

Phanman
05-31-2007, 04:26 PM
wow this is crazy. Im sure Bill will stock the reef to his liking and it will be full of coral and fish. I would love to get home from a hard day and jump in my reef, lol. Must be nice to have these kinda challenges with what to do with all your money, hehe. Only time will tell what Bills interpretation of a reef tank looks like.

Matt
05-31-2007, 07:08 PM
It will be epic, and epically expensive. I don't imagine I'll like it much. I've never personally seen any monster tanks outside of public aquariums, but I've never seen one I really liked.

I'll make an exception for SuperFudge, and Steve Weast, but I haven't seen those in person, either.

andrewsk
05-31-2007, 09:07 PM
I have to say that I would never want a tank this size. I have a 300 Gallon system and ya I would like to have a larger tank, but at some point you lose the intamacy of your reef.

I like knowing the fish in my tank and being able to check up on each corals growth.

A tank that big would be overwhelming. There would be so much stuff in it that you would lose track of all the details.

Just my opinion.

lastlight
05-31-2007, 09:23 PM
The 20,000 guy is justjoe on RC. What an amazing job he has...

Here he is at 'work' hehe

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1129254&highlight=clam

Snappy
06-01-2007, 12:22 AM
The 20,000 guy is justjoe on RC. What an amazing job he has...

Here he is at 'worl' hehe

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1129254&highlight=clam

Thanks for the link, that's my dream job.

trilinearmipmap
06-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Does anyone know why that guy got banned from Reef Central? Just wondering because there is a lot of immature stuff I have seen on that board so I rarely go there any more.

Funky_Fish14
06-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Even Bill Gates can't afford this

Im quite sure bill gates could afford a 100K Gallon, heh.:lol:

Deadly Tank!!! but how many exotic cars does one dude need?

Haha... If you think thats bad, look up Jay Leno's collection... I dont think hes got more than a couple hundred cars but... its a few more :razz:

Screw him and his 17,000 gallon tank, I'm going to start building a 17,001 gallon tank tomorrow after I get my 6/49 jackpot cheque. 30 mil should cover it, right?

You could probably keep it under 1 mil I'd bet?

+ I agree with the size comments everyone has made.
After a certain point... the tank just gets too large really for it to be 'your tank' and your pets. Its like owning 365 pairs of shoes instead of 5. You'll never get to wear each pair every day or be able to enjoy them all, like you will with just the 5.

danny zubot
06-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Pretty impressive.

I don't think that just anyone would do this, unless of couse they loved coral reefs, or am I wrong? I think that he must really enjoy reef environments, so much that he's willing to build his home around one. I mean, he must have thought about what this setup would do to the re-sale of his home if he ever decided to sell it. Of course, the person who who could afford to buy that home should be able to afford to renovate it too I guess.

If I could do it, I would.

marie
06-01-2007, 10:47 PM
... Its like owning 365 pairs of shoes instead of 5. You'll never get to wear each pair every day or be able to enjoy them all, like you will with just the 5.
I'm pretty sure both of my daughters would argue about that, if they could afford 365 pairs of shoes they would enjoy every one of them :lol: