PDA

View Full Version : Tank Flood and Kalk overdose..

One_Divided
12-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Well I woke up at 3:30 AM to see water pouring down the edges of my tank, on to the floor.. I guess something clogged the overflow.. To make matters worse, my auto top off poured in about 2 gallons of kalk water.. Some of my corals look fine but several of them are half closed and sliming a bit.. I figure I will do a water change and hope that everything is ok. Any other suggestions? I opened up my return valve and the system seems to be running as usual.. I will keep it further open from now on and put up with a bit more trickling noise..

Grrrrr!

One_Divided
12-16-2002, 06:48 PM
Wow! there's a snail that magiacally appeared in my sump.. He must have teleported down there!

But seriously, I guess this cerith snail managed to get through the eggcrate above my overflow and climb in to the pipe.. He made it all the way down and back out.. Thats one hell of a snail.. Now, let's see if he survives being flushed down the toilet! JK! :twisted:

No question, it was what cuased the flood.. I opened the valve all the way before I readjusted it.. It must have fallen down the rest of the pipe then..

FishGeek
12-16-2002, 07:16 PM
What you don't have your snails trained not to do that? I trained mine by negative reinforcement. I use this little whip I made and whip them every time they try it. Now they go nowhere near it. :?

Sorry that wasn't even funny! I guess it's the final exam anzieties (?????SP????)

Simon

Doug
12-16-2002, 07:22 PM
Adam, now that the damage is done, bring it back to norm. slowly. Another quick change may harm them more. I am speaking from experience here. :D

Aquattro
12-16-2002, 10:26 PM
Adam, do you have a valve on the output??

Canadian
12-17-2002, 12:43 AM
FishGeek, that would actually constitute positive punishment. Negative reinforcement would be removal of a negative stimulus when the snail did what you wanted it to.

Sorry, just had to clear that up. I had a psych prof who went mental if you used positive/negative reinforcement/punishment incorrectly.

:)

One_Divided
12-17-2002, 01:01 AM
Heheh I should have put the mantis I cuaght in the overflow.. He'd do the job!

Yes brad I have it valved off just a little bit so that I don't hear a waterfall in my overflow box.. I am having second thoughts now..

The snail that was in there had been in the overflow chamberfor a few months and hadn't been a problem till now.. I should have snatched him earlier.. oh well.. Everything is perfectly fine again now! Corals look happy..

Aquattro
12-17-2002, 01:10 AM
I strongly maintain that you should only control flow via valves on the return pump. When I had a valve like you, I had snails cause a flood!! I'd move the valve to the pump.