PDA

View Full Version : New fish, strange behaviour...

TANGOMAN
12-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Some of you may recall a posting I had earlier regarding a newly acquired Yellow Tang that was "infected" with Black Ich. Treatment was successful and I released the fish from quarantine three days ago. A little sooner than I probably should have but the quarantine period is very "scary" for me... :? The fish looked and behaved well/normal.
After release into my 60g the fish was quickly out of hiding and familiarizing itself to its new surroundings. The Cleaner Shrimp were soon going to work on it as well. After a few hours the fish began "pacing" along one wall of the tank. Following the contour of the rocks. It occasionally goes to "mid-tank", then hurries back to the side and begins pacing again...It is eating well. Looks awesome. This has gone on for three days now. I've never witnessed this before and I began to grow concerned the fish was "distressed" about something.
Transfer was into identical water.(a week long process). All inverts.(sessile & mobile) are doing great. I've slowly began to dose kalk. but an increase in Ca is not yet detected. All other water paramaters are perfect.
(Ph, Alk, SG, Temp, and the "three nasties" however nitrate is present but barely as this tank hasn't housed fish for almost 12 months...)
I'm not "freakin' out" yet as I now fish are sometimes slow to settle in but is there something that I should check that I've forgotten ?
There is a grond probe. Lights were left off for the first day. I'm going to discontinue dosing for now.. One concern I have. An Orange Cactus Sponge I've had for approx. 18 months. Surviving but not "thriving". It was overgrown with cyano. a while back and I've recently relocated it to a very shady location and it's slowly getting cleaned up. I recently read that sponges will release a devastating toxin when they die. Should I use the sponge for dishes or leave it for now ? :?
Any suggestions are appreciated...thanks.

Canadian Man
12-16-2002, 03:00 PM
Doug;
For the first 5 months or so that I had my Scopas Tang he was very skittish/twitchey. He would always hide and only come out when you were a few feet back from the tank.. If you so much as looked at him, he would be hiding again.

After about the 5 month period or there abouts he is cool and calm as a cuke :roll: . He's a very diffrent fish now.

Anyway I don't know if this helps but good luck.

Delphinus
12-16-2002, 03:30 PM
I think it's a case of being in unfamiliar surroundings and like Canadian_Man says it seems to go away if all other things are OK. Tangs seem to have fairly nervous/agitated dispositions (too much coffee in the ocean?). I guess if it continues beyond a few days/week-or-two then you might want to see what it is that's disturbing him, but for now it's not unexpected. Unfamiliar territory = fear of predation (?)

TANGOMAN
12-16-2002, 04:03 PM
I'm glad to hear you guys "are on the same page..."
As I said I' not freakin' out, just concerned. I've kept Tangs before but they just didn't display this "psychological irregularity..."
5 months ? Wow. Coffee... :roll: maybe.

Canadian Man
12-16-2002, 04:11 PM
STOP dumping Coffee in your tank Doug! :wink: