PDA

View Full Version : A nice surprise

danny zubot
05-29-2007, 01:56 PM
I bought some rubble off of the LFS a couple of weeks ago and found a doomed coral amoung the bits and pieces. I thought I'd attempt to save it, and after a couple of weeks so far so good.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/3214dannyzubot/Before%20Pics/IMGP1715.jpg

I guess I'll owe the LFS a frag of this if I can manage to get it to grow some more.

Another nice surprise is this little fella who came out of hiding. It's the only one left of a 150+ colony I used to have until a blue lined rabbit fish ate them all. To the upper left of the pic there might be another one but I haven't seen it extend yet so I'm not sure.

Grow little buddy grow!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/3214dannyzubot/Before%20Pics/IMGP1720.jpg

Geofrog
05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
My blasto is starting to go the way of the top picture. What are you doing to bring it back so that I can try to save mine.

robzilla
05-29-2007, 03:09 PM
always nice to get a bonus :)

danny zubot
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Is it a blasto? I thought I might have gotten lucky with an Acan, oh well.

So far, I have it up pretty high with moderate current. I spot feed it a couple of times a week with reef roids too. Thats what I do with all of my corals and they seem to be growing nicely.

christyf5
05-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Yep its a blasto, nice one too. It will be gorgeous when it recovers :cool:

Reefer Rob
05-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Too early to frag? :mrgreen:

danny zubot
05-29-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it's too early.

I was debating cutting off the dead patches with a dremel, but haven't because I'm assuming that the coral will use the dead patches as a mantle to grow on. Am I correct in my assumption?

Reefer Rob
05-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Blastamusas spread by budding off the parent polyp, so eventually the new polyps will over-grow the dead ones. It's going to be a beauty.

christyf5
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
yeah i'd just leave it and wait till its nice and healthy to frag it :biggrin:

Geofrog
05-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll move it higher in the tank. They are beautiful corals.

Reefer Rob
05-29-2007, 05:46 PM
They don't like too much light. I keep mine right at the bottom, under overhangs. They're perfect for filling in where most other corals won't survive.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Likewise...mine are on the rock, directly under my big toadstool. It doesn't get much light, and almost no direct light. It's definitely doing well, but isn't growing (spreading) very rapidly.

My question for you Reefer Bob...since you keep yours in low light, do you spot feed it often? And if so, have you noticed them growing steadily?

Danny--so those are the ones you were talking about yesterday. Very nice! I have some quite like them, but mine seem a little bit of a darker red. And I paid $30 for them. LOL. I like 'em. They're different.

Reefer Rob
05-29-2007, 06:00 PM
They're definitely slow growers. I've spot fed one of mine and it did grow faster, but I'm just too lazy:redface: My other one was a bit of a rescue coral with only 2 polyps when I got it. When I spot fed it one polyp died, I'm not sure why, but now I a little reluctant to feed it again. Now that it's up to 6 or 7 polyps I think I'll try feeding one polyp and see what happens.

untamed
05-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Yes, blastos like to eat. I feed mine cyclopeze, but they will take nearly anthing, including chunks of formula one, or shimp.

I don't feed that often, as they can survive on light alone.

CLINT
05-29-2007, 11:14 PM
I have a small colony of purple rim green center.They are about 18-20in off to the side from a 400watt MH and they seem to be doing best of all.I have many small buds off to the side but they also get fed mysis every few days and love it,But so do some of my zoos.Hope they do good for you cause,well it's always nice to have something that you saved.Clint

Ruth
05-30-2007, 01:06 AM
[QUOTE=danny zubot;253805]I bought some rubble off of the LFS a couple of weeks ago and found a doomed coral amoung the bits and pieces. I thought I'd attempt to save it, and after a couple of weeks so far so good.

Another nice surprise is this little fella who came out of hiding. It's the only one left of a 150+ colony I used to have until a blue lined rabbit fish ate them all. To the upper left of the pic there might be another one but I haven't seen it extend yet so I'm not sure.

Jeez not fair - you get surprise corals and usually get "surprise" aptasia and majono's (sp):twised: