PDA

View Full Version : Green Water :(

X-Treme
05-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Set up my new tank about 5-6 weeks ago.....got 2 percs and a clean-up crew in there now. Major green water issue all of a sudden. I figured that my new lighting was too close to the surface and getting the water too warm, so I have since moved it up. LARGE water change and left the lights off for a couple days and things were REALLY clearing up, so I turned on the lights for 4 hours yesterday and came home to pea soup again. All equipment is in my sig. Any comments or tips on how to get rid of this?

Der_Iron_Chef
05-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Where's your water coming from? Considered a UV Filter?

X-Treme
05-27-2007, 02:23 AM
Water is RO from a bottled water company. Guaranteed to be less than 10ppm TDS. I have a large uv on my freshwater tank running off the filter pump, but no pump to run it on my reef. Don't REALLY wanna go buy a pump for a few days of UV. Is this maybe just a cycle that I should try and wait it out.

wetcoast
05-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Are you dosing any chemicals or feeding too much perhaps? I would just wait and see what happens as you mentioned and carefully monitor everything in relation to the tank carefully till it goes clear again..

prodogg02
05-28-2007, 05:32 AM
i had the same issue i got a uv filter and cut back o feeding and problem solved

Slick Fork
05-28-2007, 06:25 PM
I had a similar issue a while back,

Just seemed to happen like overnight the water turned green and murky. I just waited it out.. took a little while like a week but cleared right up. My soft corals and zoanthids all loved it, I think it provided a ton of food for them as they all looked fat and happy when the water cleared!