PDA

View Full Version : Non-Indo Lords

Der_Iron_Chef
05-26-2007, 04:05 PM
So, I've been following a sort of Non-Indo Lords (aka, Japan/Aussie Lords) craze on RC. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I right in assuming that Australia recently opened up their coral export restrictions and now we're seeing some of their corals here for sale? Are we getting any of those this way? And should I start putting one of my kidneys up for sale on the black market so I can afford a colony?

vanreefer
05-26-2007, 04:12 PM
There here

http://oceanaquatics.com/

Justusfish
05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
speaking of australian imports, what is all the fuss about acans? They are so expensive yet in terms of colour, other corals beat the heck out of them? Are they just the latest craze so people are overpaying, or is there really a reason for the hefty price tag?

Der_Iron_Chef
05-27-2007, 01:37 AM
I have to disagree! These acans are amazing!!

corpusse
05-27-2007, 02:02 AM
speaking of australian imports, what is all the fuss about acans? They are so expensive yet in terms of colour, other corals beat the heck out of them? Are they just the latest craze so people are overpaying, or is there really a reason for the hefty price tag?

show me what you have that "beats the heck out of this.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/andrewkw/acan/acanpolyp.jpg

Personally out of the 1000s of corals i've seen. I have never seen anything close to as colourful as the aussie acans. Not sure if we will ever see Japanese in Canada since they are illegal to export.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-27-2007, 04:49 AM
Or these. I hope I was able to use these photos (copied from another website). If not, someone let me know!

http://x8d.xanga.com/45fd907b77032124987374/w90480147.jpg

http://xd9.xanga.com/1e3d774230733124987343/w90480121.jpg

http://x5d.xanga.com/52dd617b05133124987304/w90480098.jpg

wickedfrags
05-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Ya if you are an acan lover you gotta by having some of these. I have seen all over aussie acans (85 yesterday) and they are all spectacular. There are essentially no bad ones.

vanreefer - if those are from australia they are the worst I have ever seen. I am guessing they are not aussie, just on they way they look. Der_Iron_Chef posted pics typical of the aussie acans we have been seeing come in through TO.

Chowder
05-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Want to PM the website to me so I can view these myself.

more1020
05-29-2007, 08:03 AM
vanreefer - if those are from australia they are the worst I have ever seen. I am guessing they are not aussie, just on they way they look. Der_Iron_Chef posted pics typical of the aussie acans we have been seeing come in through TO.

220G,

Why? Have you seen them in person? OA has been a great lfs in our area and always provide excellent support and help to all customers! Your comment is very unfair to it. Yes, your lfs has the BEST PICTURE for all corals but I don't see why those from OA are the worst,especially you never seen them in person. I visited and saw them the other day,they look very very nice.

It would have been nice if you landed on this board to offer and assist others instead of crashing a reputation of a great store. It won't help to boost your "fragging" business here considering that you are trying to start your business on this board.

Any unhappy customers from OA here? I don't think so.

corpusse
05-29-2007, 10:02 AM

They look aussie to me, but not as colourfull as most. The pictures are very poor quality so it would be hard to justify buying those without decent macro shots. The colours of my first aussie acan are the same as indo but looking at it you can tell its not indo.

Perhaps they are collected from a different region in australia were they aren't as colourfull.

I'm loving the middle pic of the rr ones :)

wickedfrags
05-29-2007, 01:54 PM
In response to your first comment, and yes with an eye towards being fair...no I have not seen the corals in person, have not been to the store, and have no idea who runs it or how well they do it. As such, at least in my mind (maybe others as well), I was not directly commenting on the stores support or service - only the photos of the coral based on the link posted. No need to put words in my mouth - and also, it is not "my" LFS, it is "a" LFS.

Admittedly, and as I said these acans could very well be from Australia, but at the same time, I don't think the photos are representative of the corals coming out of this region at this time. Online is all about the pictures. Perhaps that is what I should have posted, that the photo is not representative of how good the coral actually looks...then again I am no expect on acans, I don't even own one, I have just seen a lot of aussie acans in the last 3 months.

While I appreciate your insights as to why I landed on this board, I don't think one comment regarding photographs accurately reflects my ability to help others, or crashes a reputation of a good store. Perhaps in time hobbyists on this board will learn a little bit more about me, and my approach to the hobby. Or not. Read up on my tank and follow my historical posts on other boards and decide for yourself if you should put any value in my posts.

And oh yes, calling out to find unhappy customers on behalf of a store??? Wise.

If any members want to chew me a new one - please PM me. I do not want this board to start looking like some in Ontario.

Now please Canreef - back to the acans :)

220G,

Why? Have you seen them in person? OA has been a great lfs in our area and always provide excellent support and help to all customers! Your comment is very unfair to it. Yes, your lfs has the BEST PICTURE for all corals but I don't see why those from OA are the worst,especially you never seen them in person. I visited and saw them the other day,they look very very nice.

It would have been nice if you landed on this board to offer and assist others instead of crashing a reputation of a great store. It won't help to boost your "fragging" business here considering that you are trying to start your business on this board.

Any unhappy customers from OA here? I don't think so.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes yes...back to the Acans :wink:

220G, why haven't you picked up any Acans? I'm curious. You seem to like them!

zulu_principle
05-29-2007, 09:06 PM
First, the acans are from australia if they are mentioned as such. Actually a hand pick from a local supplier.

Secondly, the picture is not truly representative of the coral, really :) Ill try to have a better picture taken in the near future.

I'd comment further but I'll wait until getting to know 220g.

All the best.

Wendell

wickedfrags
05-29-2007, 10:30 PM
I like them - but can not afford them! While I have made quite the investment in the hobby, but I am not a rich enough guy to buy corals at the prices they are going for here :(

Yes yes...back to the Acans :wink:

220G, why haven't you picked up any Acans? I'm curious. You seem to like them!

There you have it from the store itself. Your supplier is doing some fine work getting those in - the demand for them is huge. And if that is the case I am sure they look much better than illustrated in the photo. And taking pics can be tough, it took me a 2 weeks top figure it out and get my TOTM pics. If you want any pointers using a non-SLR camera let me know b/c I have figured it out, well top-down pics anyways.

No further comments from me, and hope you did not interpret me post as an attack against your store, service, expertise as this was not my intent. I was really only commenting on the photograph.

Dave

First, the acans are from australia if they are mentioned as such. Actually a hand pick from a local supplier.

Secondly, the picture is not truly representative of the coral, really :) Ill try to have a better picture taken in the near future.

I'd comment further but I'll wait until getting to know 220g.

All the best.

Wendell

Sebae again
05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
I didn't see it as an attack but as an observation of what is available in the market. Maybe some suppliers don't have access to these or the price would be too great and the average person couldn't afford one of these in the first place. It' still nice to drooooooool.

Snappy
05-30-2007, 01:28 AM
The problem with the written word is you can't always tell the tone of what is being said so people often take things the wrong way and read more into a statement than is meant. Many things that are meant as simply "matter of fact" or even opinions & observations can be easily taken out of context.
I know this is the case here by 220g and I know that Wendell wouldn't misrepresent his products.
Pictures can be very ambiguous. Sometimes I'll take a picture of something and think wow, I wish it always looked that good in person and then on the other hand some really nice stuff isn't very photogenic.

Ruth
05-30-2007, 01:54 AM
The problem with the written word is you can't always tell the tone of what is being said so people often take things the wrong way and read more into a statement than is meant. Many things that are meant as simply "matter of fact" or even opinions & observations can be easily taken out of context.
I know this is the case here by 220g and I know that Wendell wouldn't misrepresent his products.
Pictures can be very ambiguous. Sometimes I'll take a picture of something and think wow, I wish it always looked that good in person and then on the other hand some really nice stuff isn't very photogenic.

Totally agree with you Greg. I think all of us on this board that know Wendell have great respect for him and maybe someone took something the wrong way. And your right about pictures - but with me my pictures are usually pretty bad and I think why can't I take a picture of how that really looks. OTOH I see a pretty picture on a web site and buy it and when it arrives I go WTF is that? That surely can't be what I bought or saw on the web site? Big sigh - oh poor me:sad: LOL

Sebae again
05-30-2007, 04:58 AM
You're right Ruth . I think if we see a pic of something ,that's what it should look like when we receive it. In seeing a pic of something that interests us we should always ask if we are buying the actual piece and what lighting it is under,what height is the lighting, what K and even what brand of bulb.