PDA

View Full Version : Facebook?

fishoholic
05-25-2007, 04:39 AM
Anyone else on here addicted to facebook other than me? Just wondering thanks Laurie Morin

Der_Iron_Chef
05-25-2007, 04:40 AM
Yup! It's insane. But a mild addiction compared to Canreef :wink:

michika
05-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Yup, I'm addicted too!

Der_Iron_Chef
05-25-2007, 04:50 AM
I'm sensing a Canreef Facebook group in the making...? Hmmmm? Hmmmm?

mr_alberta
05-25-2007, 04:52 AM
There is a canreef facebook group...its just not called CanReef...I think its the Reef Network or something like that. It just started, but there are a few names on there I recognize from CanReef.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-25-2007, 04:57 AM
I'm on it. Well, both figuratively and literally now. Just joined!

Matt
05-25-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm a recent convert, too.

EmilyB
05-25-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm watching it with my daughters. However the "getting tagged" part concerns me, so I won't go for it yet. :neutral:

Reefhawk1
05-25-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm on there as well. Kind of cool to see all my old friends from high school on there.

justinl
05-25-2007, 06:52 AM
facebook! that soul sucking demon. ... i just joined the group. lol facebook addiction is bad, but i have to admit, im much more addicted to canreef.

andsoitgoes
05-25-2007, 07:07 AM
LOL - it seems that this time of year is facebook addiction time. a few friends badgered me as I wouldn't touch Myspace, this seems much more up my alley, although for the last 30 minutes I should have been sleeping, I've yapped and yammered on the damn thing. And now I've joined the reefing group. No, not that one, THIS one.

As for the "tagged" - that just means your name was noted in another picture, story, etc. Not tagged in that way. Poked I'd be more concerned about ;) But in the end, all that means is you get a message saying "You've been poked by SuchandSuch, do you want to poke them back?" - so nothing TOO much to fear.

digital-audiophile
05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Crackbook I call it. I can't leave it alone. It has helped me reconnect with old friends that I thought were long lost though :)

Ephraim
05-25-2007, 01:21 PM
I've been able to meet up with a few friends that have been long lost....but then after hanging out with them i remembered why we lost touch :)

Murminator
05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Hmmm guess I'm going to have to join to see what this is all aboot :mrgreen:

Phanman
05-25-2007, 03:48 PM
very addicting, but like most of you I find canreef way more addicting, lol.

MoeReefer
05-25-2007, 05:00 PM
havent brought myself to joining yet. seems like a big deal though as everyone i know is totally addicted.

christyf5
05-25-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't know about being addicted but I joined and its pretty fun. I guess I'm not quite as into it as I could be, but really who wants to hear about all my problems and what I do every day? :razz:

I have connected with a couple people I haven't heard from in years which is pretty awesome. I figure I might as well keep it up and see how many friends I can get :razz:

OCDP
05-25-2007, 06:02 PM
i found it fun for about the first month when you find all your friends.... after that point it seems completely useless. good for killing time though.

fishoholic
05-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Crackbook I call it. I can't leave it alone. It has helped me reconnect with old friends that I thought were long lost though :)

I have another friend who calls crackbook lol. I'm impressed by how many people are on it, although I admit I am addicted to canreef more!:biggrin:

andsoitgoes
05-26-2007, 02:30 AM
I've been able to meet up with a few friends that have been long lost....but then after hanging out with them i remembered why we lost touch :)

Lmao!! Ah, so very true. And like Christy said, it's nice having a big ol list of friends, makes one feel all special and popular, when in fact that maybe 1% of the people on the list you'd actually hang out with and speak to in person even if they were within proximity.

Face it, unless you're in high school or university/college it's just a pi***** contest to who can have the most friends...

And I'm doing quite well so far ;) ;)

digital-audiophile
05-26-2007, 02:44 AM
It can be so random at times though an amaze me. For example, as a teenager I was in the Canadian Air Cadets and one of the summer camps I went to was in Winnipeg. I just got a message from a gal from Manitoba that was there at the same time. Had it not been for facebook I doubt I would have ever heard from her again in my life :O

EmilyB
05-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Actually, tagging I was told was posting an embarrassing pic of someone else ?

fishmaster
05-26-2007, 08:07 AM
I had to find out what all the hype was and OMG there are allot of old friends on there. Very cool site....yet another place to waste time on line!

christyf5
05-26-2007, 03:58 PM
Actually, tagging I was told was posting an embarrassing pic of someone else ?

I thought it was just posting pics of your friends and labelling them with their names. You have the option to remove your name or change it I think. Besides, only the people in your facebook list can see the pics (well as well as the friends of whoever posted the photo.

Der_Iron_Chef
05-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Yeah, the pics don't actually have to be embarrassing! I think some of mine are, but not intentionally, LOL. *ouch*

So, Facebook is a p***ing contest, eh? I wonder who's p***ing the farthest....:lol:

fishoholic
05-27-2007, 04:57 PM
So, Facebook is a p***ing contest, eh? I wonder who's p***ing the farthest....:lol:

My friend Kevan is probablly p***ing the farthest he has 259 friends in total so far!:surprise:

justinl
05-27-2007, 05:23 PM
well if its a p***ing contest, my friend sherry has a total of 533 friends.

DJKoop
05-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm on facebook but am never there. I find it boring. No addiction here.

EmilyB
06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
I thought it was just posting pics of your friends and labelling them with their names. You have the option to remove your name or change it I think. Besides, only the people in your facebook list can see the pics (well as well as the friends of whoever posted the photo.

Okay, I'm ready to tag you...can you tell me how??? :lol:

DONE !

Delphinus
06-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Got this note today from a friend - you may wish to take a look at this if you're on Facebook:

Apparently Facebook has started SELLING user information (surprise, surprise!) to third parties. They call it the "Facebook Development Platform."

To restrict use of your information, do the following:
Click "Privacy" on top right.
Under the "Facebook Platform" section click"Edit Settings".
Scroll down to the bottom and UNCHECK ALL of the items under facebook platform.

If you check any items, your name, networks, and list of friends will also be shared. If you uncheck all items, no information about you will be shared.

Most creepy is the inclusion of photographs!
(Do your friends a favor and repost this as your own note.)

Nothing ever ever comes for free - Facebook has to be earning income somehow.. So ... anyhow there ya go.

Slick Fork
06-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I got that note as well but it's B.S.

The permissions are for third party applications, things like "superpoke" or "Graffiti". Basically, by leaving those permissions enabled you are saying If you OR your friends subscribe to those applications you will allow the application to access that information.

The trouble you run into is that you are being asked to trust that your friends understand enough about privacy to know what third party applications they are installing and allowing to access their info as well as your own.

It makes sense to me to uncheck them all anyways like the note suggests, but it isn't anything as sinister as facebook selling your identity.

Der_Iron_Chef
06-15-2007, 04:25 PM
Awww, crap. I love a good scandal. Guess I'll have to go read the war threads instead....:wink:

andsoitgoes
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Awww, crap. I love a good scandal. Guess I'll have to go read the war threads instead....:wink:

It's a BS scandal, and has already been addressed by Facebook. If you look, those options aren't even available ;) Just someone trying to make a scene for a free product!

Oh I'm too slow on the response - but anyway, yeah - bunch of hooey of people trying to find flaws in a wicked cool service :P

Der_Iron_Chef
06-15-2007, 06:04 PM
...anyway, yeah - bunch of hooey of people trying to find flaws in a wicked cool service :P

Hooey, huh? What's the definition on that? lol....:wink: