PDA

View Full Version : When to add SPS (easy ones!)

Chaloupa
05-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Our new tank has been set up since early February...it is a 5ft 150g with an H&S skimmer, 2x400w MH with T5's.....50g sump....dart pump, we are adding in a Vortech or Tunze for more flow but there is good flow now.....roughly 180lbs of live rock, sand bed.......has a couple of fish; small Naso (2.5inches), Neon goby, Panda Goby, Trimma goby, African Flameback Angel and some easy corals to get the tank stable.....BUT that all being said....back to the original question;

WHEN can I add in SPS corals ? When is the tank considered stable enough to add things like Montipora digi and such? Might seem like a newbie question but in this I am a newbie as I have failed previously:redface:.

Thanks in advance for the help!

marie
05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
I think you could probably start adding any time. Montipora is a good sps to add first, it's very hardy but if your chemistry is out of whack it will quickly tell you.

Best of all I know where you can gets lots of it for free :mrgreen:

Chaloupa
05-24-2007, 06:20 AM
LOTS and FREE??? Two of my favorite words when it comes to coral! That is a bit easier to take when it doesn't survive that's for sure! I don't want to spend a bunch of money just to find out I completely suck at keeping SPS and I should stick to a FOWLR tank!!!! :lol: Mom and I were talking about taking a day trip over to Powell River, but might not make it very soon......hmmm will have to talk this over...I would like to see your tanks..(and steal your ricordea!)

Thank you for the generous offer AND for the "soon to get" freebies Marie!

andresont
05-24-2007, 07:14 AM
The rule of the thumb is when you have a coraline on the glass size of the 25cent coin you are ready for SPS,
Stability is a key word for any system. Calc reactor is a way to go with tanks over 60 Gal.
With water flow if you think you have enough... double it !
Hey you are aproaching a scarry number of posts...tripple 6...He-he.

Chaloupa
05-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Andresont! thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it...I do have coraline growth...my calcium levels are "good".....all other levels are ok too.... I do know that I will need a reactor down the road but have been advised not to get one yet as the tank is too young. All other corals are completely thriving...zoos, colts, palys, ricordea, frogspawn, hammer, leather etc...(of which all except the zoos/ricordea/paly will be needing new homes soon!) Will give it a bit of a try to see how ones from Marie do...and I guess that will tell me!